Why do some people hate Alfa Romeo? Why do some people avoid Alfa Romeo despite them improving?

Hello everyone! This is my first post!

I haven’t driven an Alfa Romeo, but my parents saw an Alfa Romeo Stelvio and Giulia the looks were kind of appealing to them.

I have noticed some hate with this brand on other car communities. I might quote some comments here:

• “they are trash”
  • “Italian car quality :joy::joy::joy:
  • "Audi A4 has better design and interior from 2008 than this Alfa. :smile:
  • On Jalopnik, they stated that no one wanted an Alfa Romeo: Even With The Car Supply Shortage No One Wants An Alfa Romeo
  • Car and Driver (during the review of the Giulia Quadrifolgio) quoted them for having “Checkered reputation for reliability”

Reason why I am asking this was because, some people stated that Alfa Romeo improved a couple of their models for the 2020 model year stating that they came out with better materials and better finish. Also at some point, the electrical issues were worked out.

Why do people still hate the brand? I noticed that some people stop hating Hyundai/Kia after they improved their products, why is Alfa Romeo not the same?

Alfas are a blast to drive but have a poor quality record. While it may have gotten better, it is still poor. Some people are willing to overlook repair problems for the great handling and other Alfa attributes but most won’t.

4 Likes

With a long record of poor reliability it’ll take several years before I’d trust they’re improved.

2 Likes

Most people who spend $80,000 on a car aren’t interested in having the experience detailed here:

I think they look very nice, but there’s absolutely no chance I’d buy one anytime soon.

2 Likes

A friend has an Alfa. It cost him $3200 for a brake fluid change. That is absurd even for a car costing $100K.

Their service cost and reliability (really, the lack of it) is why they sell cheap after the warranty expires.

2 Likes

A friend has an Alfa. It cost him $3200 for a brake fluid change. That is absurd even for a car costing $100K.

What Alfa does your friend have? I was wondering about which Alfa costs $100K.

reliability (really, the lack of it)

I think I overheard the 2.0 Alfas would be okay for a lease. Would the poor reliability apply to QF models or any performance models?

Wouldn’t that be the same for Hyundai/Kia about a decade ago? I heard that Hyundai/Kia had a bad rep in the early 2000s and even around 2010. Now, Hyundai/Kia models are MUCH better now. They still have a couple flaws (like most brands), but their quality and interiors were an improvement from decades ago.

I just hope Alfa ends up like Hyundai/Kia today.

One like this AWD Stelvio…

https://www.alfaromeousa.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=ZASPAKEV3P7D69004

A lease that does not last past the warranty…

EVERY model. All of them.

1 Like

That’s no guarantee that Alfas will get better. Several brands have had poor reliability for decades.

$98K for an Alfa? Shit!

Hmm, makes kinda of some sense to me.

Several brands have had poor reliability for decades.

I wonder really how Hyundai/Kia got better. They were in this category for a couple decades. (Yes, I am repeating this brand just to kind of get the point across, if we are talking about brand reliability improvement)

No… that is BASE price. The actual price is $98,710 Look bottom right.

1 Like

Exactly!
Improving from abysmal to just plain “bad” can be considered as improvement, but itdoesn’t qualify that marque for purchase by people who care about both reliability and durability.

But, I have a very practical suggestion for the OP. If he is confident that Alfa Romeos can now be counted-on for reliability, he should buy or lease one, and then give us quarterly reports on his experiences with that Alfa. He can consider it to be his personal scientific study.
:thinking:

2 Likes

Kia got better because they learned how to build cars from the Japanese. They set up engineering centers in California and Michigan and hired experienced US engineers to develop the cars specifically for the US market. They also dropped billions into Alabama for a US assembly plant.

2 Likes

My bad. Fixed my mistake.

But, I have a very practical suggestion for the OP. If he is confident that Alfa Romeos can now be counted-on for reliability, he should buy or lease one, and then give us quarterly reports on his experiences with that Alfa. He can consider it to be his personal scientific study.

I am OP. I am not saying that I am confident that reliability is good, but I am saying it is a slight improvement compared to previous model years. I was wondering if people still hate it even after the fixes.

But honestly speaking, I wouldn’t consider an Alfa. Not because of reliability but because several things are missing (i.e. creature comforts, safety ratings, etc.) The Giulia doesn’t have ventilated seats. While my current daily doesn’t have ventilated seats, the Alfa doesn’t either. My next daily should have ventilated seats. In addition, safety ratings are missing. In the IIHS report for the Giulia: 2023 Alfa Romeo Giulia, the newer crash tests haven’t been tested, and it hasn’t won the latest IIHS TSP award. I prefer my daily to have an IIHS TSP award.

But it would be a great scientific study.

Hate is a very useless emotion, especially if it is applied to an inanimate object that one doesn’t actually own. Some people might “hate” that marque even if they don’t one of its vehicles, but I personally find that type of mindset to be… puzzling. Knowing enough to avoid something doesn’t have to involve hatred, and I would definitely avoid the purchase or lease of an Alfa Romeo.

If you want some idea of how Alfas hold up over the long term, you might want to ask yourself why their models depreciate in value so rapidly. (Hint: It isn’t because people are lining-up to buy used Alfas :wink:)

Take a look at this:
https://vantagepointmag.co.uk/blog/cars-with-the-fastest-deprecation-rates/#:~:text=Italian%20manufacturer%20Alfa%20Romeo%20makes,it%20the%20fastest%20depreciation%20SUV.

2 Likes

Hate is a very useless emotion, especially if it is applied to an inanimate object that one doesn’t actually own.

Tell that to the car brand/car model internet haters (especially those on YouTube comments) who hate on brands for no reasons! :joy:

A question to ask from what you sent me (this still isn’t going to change my mind in considering an Alfa):

“If you purchase a Stelvio, it is a good idea to take out Alfa Romeo gap insurance – this will bridge the gap between the payout (current market value) and the amount originally paid in the event of a write-off.”

EDIT: What is specifically gap insurance? Why would it need to be used for the case of the Alfa?

It wasn’t the plant’s fault, it was the engineering of the first M-Class SUV’s. M-B gave design control to their truck people, not the car people. They had NO clue what modern SUVs were supposed to be. Had nothing to do with the plant being in Alabama. Labor and shipping costs were primary reasons for building in 'Bama. Many years before Hyundai/Kia did.

1 Like

Absolutely DO take the gap insurance if you buy.

1 Like