Why do people wear black clothing outdoors at night?

Closest sidewalk to where I live is about 5 miles away.

I live in a rural area area with a large Amish population. Our main roads have plenty of space, our back roads have no shoulder and no sidewalks. Fortunately, the Amish are good about wearing reflective vests over their regular clothing. Unfortunately there are also a lot of other people who walk to work but don’t use reflective vests…with so many blind curves (many roads literally are built on the edge of property lines), you’re a fool for not wearing a reflective vest. And people often don’t walk towards oncoming traffic like they’re supposed to.

Sure it’s safer if all walkers wear reflective vests just like it’d be safer if all cars had auto-braking. Control what is controllable. Maybe people should slow down on blind curves?

We do…they’re 15 mph curves…obviously there are always some morons who would try to push the speed, but they’re rare because of how sharp the curves are…maybe you should spend some time around here so you can enjoy it :slight_smile:

No way, I heard there weren’t sidewalks there and crazy pedestrians wear dark clothes while darting into the path of cars.

If we could only get those deer to wear reflective vests. I still say the DNR should do catch and release and paint white stripes on the critters.

Bicycles should not be on sidewalks either. Sidewalks are reserved for pedestrians.
If you’re riding yours on sidewalks, I suggest you check your state laws AND take a cycling safety course. You have a lot to learn.

I try to reduce the deer risk by driving at or below the speed limit in the neighborhood and use my bright lights. I do the speed limit on the main roads and use brights when possible. Once I’m on the limited access highways, the fences cut down on deer strikes and I’m less wary.

I try to keep learning everyday. The bike sidewalk laws depend on the town. Bikes are required to have lights in addition to reflectors at night here. But if a kid is riding a bike without? I won’t hit him. What’s your point?

You want to learn something today ? A kid on a bicycle without lights or reflective gear could be in front of your vehicle so quickly it is possible you could not avoid the collision.

Thank you for teaching us something today.

;-]

I never said that…

There was a bat scat crazy vehicle pedestrian incident in Portland, OR Wednesday night. Surveillance video shows a small darkly clad female jaywalking across a multi lane boulevard. She suddenly stops in the middle of a lane and turns 90 degrees with her arms extended to the side. A mini van barely stops without hitting her! She continues standing there until the van pulls forward and hits her! A witness reported some sort of verbal confrontation was involved. The van left the scene and she went to the hospital. My best guess is that she is one of the wacko protesters who blocked streets, bridges, and even interstates in November 2016. It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad world!!!