I wonder why do they creep

Sitting at a stop light waiting for the light to change or at a sign waiting for traffic to clear. The car next to me may be parallel with me or just a bit a head or behind. As we sit there waiting they relax on the brake and roll forward a few inches or feet. Then a bit later they do it again. I think I observed that if I do it after they do they are more likely to repeat the maneuver. Why do they do this? I assume they want to be first.
Some times it is important. I can’t see traffic for a turn because they are blocking my view so I creep. They do it in response so I can’t see again. I don’t think I am blocking their view so they have to.
Lee

Unfortunately, there are a lot of creeps on the road nowadays.
Just try your best to ignore them.

;-))

IMOO, I believe it is a mental or emotional game played for their own benefit.

I think some people just get restless at a red light

I observe this phenomenon all the time in my neck of the woods. The worst offenders have crept all the way into the intersection by the time the light turns green. Clearly they’re not worried about getting t-bones, even though it would be their fault. Because they have no business being in the intersection before they have a green light

Maybe one day, I’ll be fortunate enough to witness one of these “creeps” get rightfully broadsided by somebody going through a green light

I don’t want anybody to get hurt, but it might be amusing to watch. Then I’d like to hear the “creep” trying to explain how it’s not his fault

@Leea. Aren’t you doing the same thing ? :wink:

db4690 Senior Grease Monkey

4:11PM

I think some people just get restless at a red light

I think I addressed this strange behavior in Distracted Driving/Bad Drivers/Cyclists/ Pedestrians. Our theories match. Some drivers just cannot bear having to stop for a red light and wait. I’m guessing the creeping convinces their feeble mind they are not stopped because they are technically moving. Unless I know the light is going to change quickly I normally shift my M/T to neutral and take my foot off the clutch. If the vehicle in front of me is creeping I don’t bother joining them. More than once the idiot behind me has blown their horn! I assume because I’m not playing the move ahead 6 inches “game”.

I see this all the time. I can’t say it causes much trouble, at least for me. I expect it is just that the driver is anticipating the light change to get a head start on the other traffic, for example they might do it if they want to change lanes up ahead. Or they are just being impatient, maybe somebody is waiting for them and they are in a hurry.

I guess I have seen this result in a dangerous practice infrequently. Once in a while I see one of these creeper folks drive through the intersection when a green light appears, even though the green light isn’t for them, like if left hand turn green light shows up, but the creeper is going straight. Off to the races they go anyway …

They want to be the first at the next red light.

It is almost always impatient ignoramuses that creep forward at lights. I can spot an impatient person a mile away. These same lunk heads floor it as soon as the light turns green and race with engines roaring to the next red light. Drag racing is alive and well, except now its people in Suvs and pickups, they are the worst about it.

Why are they impatient? Well maybe they just hate driving, maybe they are in a rush to get home and start working on that case of beer, or maybe they are late for something. Im not sure why they think that moving forward a few inches at a time is going to help their cause.

Jane Goodall wasted her time with the chimps, she could have just studied people while driving, when the most primal, irrational behavior comes out of many people.

Only problem is when I want to right turn on red, they creep and block my view, like @Leea mentioned.

I wonder if this is related to the drivers who want to enter a main road from a small side street and turn left at the next light, so they will cross three lanes of traffic to get to the next left hand turn signal. Instead of just turning into the right hand lane and making a u-turn at the second light. And if they can’t quite get their car positioned and end up blocking two or three lanes of through traffic while they wait for their left hand turn, oh well.

speaking of right turn on red . . .

When the far right lane is straight ahead or turn right, your choice, and I’m in it, but intend to go straight ahead . . . the idiots behind me usually honk their horn. Even though I don’t have my turn signal on . . . because I’m going straight

What gives them the right?

The lane is not marked as turning lane only

If I’m doing something wrong, I suppose I deserve it if somebody honks at me. But if I’m well within my rights, I see no excuse. I don’t care if they’re late for a date, late for work, etc. No excuse whatsoever

@db4690

If I’m doing something wrong, I suppose I deserve it if somebody honks at me. But if I’m well within my rights, I see no excuse. I don’t care if they’re late for a date, late for work, etc. No excuse whatsoever

These are the same people that get mad at me if im going 60 in a 55mph zone on a winding 2 lane road, Its still not fast enough for them. If you don’t go at least 10 over here you will get tailgated at least 30% of the time.

The worst tailgaters around here are pickups. I honestly believe many of them have put bigger tires on and never re calibrated their speedometer and they are too ignorant to understand that they are actually going faster than their speedo indicates.

Horn honkers, oh my … just yesterday in fact I was in the middle lane approaching a red light controlled intersection where the light had just turned green. The car in the right lane went through at normal speed, but for some reason the car in the left lane was standing still, not moving through the intersection like you’d expect. So me, being in the middle lane I slowed way down b/c I’m thinking there may be a weirdo pedestrian not paying att’n to the lights who is crossing in front of this car in the left lane, that’s the reason the car can’t move. I’m worried the pedestrian may walk right in front of me as I go through. So I slow down to avoid running this potential pedestrian down. And of course the driver behind me is unconcerned with weirdo pedestrians I guess, goes into a honking tantrum behind me, wondering why I’m not going full speed ahead …

Just a few days ago, I was stopped at a green light in the far right lane, waiting to make a right turn, because pedestrians were crossing the street and had the white “walk” symbol

the guy behind me . . . who I’m 100% positive saw the pedestrians crossing the street, because he was that close behind me . . . was honking at me. Repeatedly. He probably layed on the horn 5 or 6 times before the pedestrians crossed the street. And he still managed to make his turn before the light turned red, as did a few others

you just can’t do right, by some people

Forgive and forget, that’s about all we can do @db4690

Part of being a mature and safe driver is to take action that is helpful to other drivers not hindering them. What drives me nuts is when I’m on the highway and a car will be stopped waiting to come on the road, yet not really stopped. I can see the spokes in their wheels turning and I’m never sure if the guy is going to stay stopped or pull out in front of me. When cars are approaching, keep your car stopped so the other guy knows you are serious about staying stopped.

Help me get a government grant for a few million bucks and I’ll study the issue for you.

“When the far right lane is straight ahead or turn right, your choice, and I’m in it, but intend to go straight ahead . . . the idiots behind me usually honk their horn. Even though I don’t have my turn signal on . . . because I’m going straight.”

Last year, I encountered that type of rude behavior 3 times in Massachusetts.
The NY/NJ Metro area, where I live, has lots of rude drivers, but I have to say that the drivers in MA have them beat when it comes to being discourteous.

I have to agree, Mass has the rudest drivers. I’m used to it so it doesn’t phase me. Mass drivers don’t even think twice about it. They’re good people, it’s just the way they drive.