Why do people think cars don't use oil?

@barkydog

I’m also glad my car & your multiple cars don’t use oil. To quote from Bell:
'The majorit**y of manufacturers consider one quart of oil in the range of 1,500 miles to be acceptable. It should also be pointed out there are some performance vehicles that will consume a quart of oil in less than 1,000 miles and is also considered acceptable.’

The majority of mfrs? That is such an unsubstantiated, overreaching statement, I don’t take anything he says seriously. Why don’t newer Toyotas (using the year of his article, 2017, though I’m certain cars before 2017 don’t use oil either) use oil in both mine & your experience as owners?

@barkydog,

Know where Bell Performance is located? In about the hottest part of Florida. So, you have cars running in 95 degree+ temps w/sun beating down on them relentlessly. No one is taking that into account. He also uses NO examples. Not a professionally-written article.

I’m aware of several newer engine designs which are reliable . . . but they do use oil, no matter how diligently they are maintained, no matter how gentle the driver is

Pop the hood

Check fluids and top off as needed

No two ways about it

I’m done with this particular discussion :smiley:

4 Likes

6 Likes

especially during the break in period before everything has a chance to seat properly.

There, fixed it for you. :smiling_imp:

6 Likes

Nonsense. Total misinformation.

4 Likes

Nonsense? Total misinformation? PROVE IT, BACK UP your words, or they will be ignored.

Exactly right. You having a car that doesn’t require adding oil has nothing to do with all new cars.

4 Likes

Several manufacturers have service bulletins out about certain models with certain engines consuming excessive amounts of oil over recent years. Is that proof enough?

I agree with you that modern engines shouldn’t consume much oil if maintained well. But some do anyway. Do some searching around on the internet if you don’t believe it.

Here’s a technical service bulletin on a late model Ford engine:

Here’s some info about certain Toyota engines that burned oil a few years back:

1 Like

How many vehicles have the low oil level warning? Some Ford mini vans have had it I think. How about GM?

Several GM engines have had oil level sensors

You still provided no support, but you just have to have the last word, don’t you?

If the world goes to EVs, CarTalk Board will be really boring when we can’t argue about oil consumption.

6 Likes

My 05 Lesabre has an oil level sensor. Not sure about my 05 Sierra.

On the Ford? You call that support? Yes, support on another junky Ford engine with design flaws:

"Issue: Some 2018-2020 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine may exhibit excessive oil
consumption of greater than 1L (1 quart) in 4,800 km (3,000 mi) with no visible oil leaks. This may be due to high intake manifold vacuum during some deceleration fuel shut off (DFSO) events resulting in oil being pulled into the combustion chamber from the crankcase, valve guides, and positive crankcase ventilation (PCV). To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure steps to reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM), install a new engine oil level indicator and change the engine oil and oil filter. The revised PCM calibration reduces engine vacuum during some DFSO events."

DITTO with your Toyota link:

" Corrective action: Toyota dealers will replace the pistons and piston rings inside the motor to correct the excessive engine oil consumption problem."

Well…yes. It supports the fact that two modern engines burned oil, even with proper maintenance.

Where is your support that no modern engines burn oil?

1 Like

Maybe you’d like a GM example.

Or Hyundai / Kia:

You supported no more than to quote service bulletins on engines with DESIGN ISSUES, specifically messed-up piston and ring designs. You don’t choose FLAWED designs that burn oil as a result of those flaws, and say “it supports the fact that two modern engines burned oil”. That’s like saying there are babies born with heart defects, so that proves new-born “heart engines” have problems. I refuse to spar with you any further over such tripe, so no more waste of time to reply to such.