Why can't I get a car with manual transmission

Most times the manual transmission is more responsive and gives the driver a much greater sense of control over the car/truck. I enjoy a good stick shift myself. And I recall driving school buses long ago that had 250 ci I-6 engines with compound low 4 speeds that were amazingly capable considering their 100 horse power pulling 3+ tons. And an A-H 3000 is at the top of my wish list ahead of anything with a slush box.

Get you a good ol’Dw 21 or old Cat Dozer with a clutch and drive it all day and see how much you enjoy it( apples and oranges I know-the point is an automatic is a upgrade)-Kevin

(full disclosure: I haven’t read all 7 pages of replies, just the first page so far)

I went through the same thing recently when I went shopping about for a new car. I knew from a friend that Kia sold the Soul in a manual model, but I was surprised to find out the differences. For example, the cheapest package for automatic shift comes with power windows and locks and a keychain remote; by comparison, the cheapest package in a manual has manual-crank windows and manual locks.

Because people who want a stick shift in order to have more direct control over their driving experience (or, in my case, because it requires my ADHD brain to stay fully-engaged in driving, so I become a safer driver) clearly don’t want ANY of the minor options that most folks would consider ‘standard’ anymore.

As to your dilemma, the sunroof is the one I’d say you’re least likely to find. I get over 30 mpg in my Soul (mistaken EPA estimates be damned), so if it’s got the clearance you’re looking for, that might be an option for you. I think (THINK) they even said that the Sorento can come in a manual package, but I don’t think it gets the kind of mileage you’re looking for (though it would likely be higher off the ground and more likely to include a sunroof).

Kmccune…my friend and ex boss had a Cat 6 way dozer with a manual transmission. While spreading gravel on our road, I was real careful (read too careful) about shifting the non syncro dozer which was a little time consuming while fighting darkness, but it was his dozer. He jumped on saying he could do it quicker because he had a knack for “shifting on the fly”. An hour later, a very heavy dozer sat useless, with the transmission seized in a forward gear on a " back out only" turn out. With a lot effort to get it on the flat bed and more then $5000 later, I think he learned his lesson. I was real thankful I wasn’t at the controls when it went down. And, That was 5 big ones in parts as his mechanics did all the labor !

That many tons of useless scrap, makes you think twice about the old gear manuals in those monsters. Shortly there after when I Watched a contractor use my manual tractor and nearly burn out my rear differential wet brakes ( they are thousands to replace) I decided it was hydrostatic for me, especially if I was going to occasionally let others use it.

The next year, even my wife consented to the trade. No more manuals in these types of vehicles…no way, no how, ever !

A sunroof can easily be installed on any car with a non retractible metal roof. Also your 2001 cr-v doesn’t have a 30 mpg rating antway.

Hudson used a wet clutch in the 40s and 50s

Yessir Dag, the cushioning efffect of a torque convertor helps these old monsters(we are talking serious inertia and force-even good steel can only stand so much) some Folks can ease and conjole these old beasts and get a suprising amount of work done,Another little mistake some people make,is trying to use an old machine like its new. Yep lf you are going to lend, lend something that will take care of itself(there are some machines I have an absolute mental struggle before I bring myself to lend them[chainsaws and certain electrical devices] and letting people assure you they will take care of it like its thier own(shudder)-Kevin

What???
I have no idea what you just said.

A sunroof can easily be installed on any Cat dozer?

Wasn’t talking to you Elly, Dagosa knows about old machinery-certain people have a knack for babying old machines and getting a lot out of them. About lending things, some things are just too delicate to let people use. I had a neighbor who could wreck an anvil with a feather, you didn’t dare lend him anything.
If you watch the way some people abuse their vehicles and tools- the phrase" take care of it like it’s my own" is little comfort-Kevin

Kevin…

Trying not to get too off target with the manual transmission, but . I had a similar friend and neighbor who would borrow one of my good ten speeds(that dates me) to commute to his job teaching at the local university. When I saw him grinding away one day, I offered to build him one from junk yard parts. He still rides it, twenty years later on campus. You are right, Kevin, some people can’t be loaned anything. This guy relishes driving and riding Junkers…so I built him a junker. He even got a farm plate, never heard of it before, so he could continue driving his rusted, uninspectable pick up truck within xxx miles of home. It literally, broke in two one day on the main road while carrying a load of wood. Unbelievable as the guy could buy and sell most of the residents of our small town.

I don’t mind anyone not showing respect to anything inanimate. But it is nice if they show respect for the owner.
Then, I have this sailing buddy who occupies the other end of the spectrum. I “beg” him to borrow my stuff including a car or boat (or wife, just kidding). It always comes back better then when he took it. There is hope in this world !

Thats a fault of mine,I usually return things in better condition then when I received them,uh, yes Elly when a ROPS or a Fleco cab with “Sweeps” had an extra top cover in front of the main roof it was usually made out of “quarry screen” or expanded metal to let the light in,I guess you could say that it was a"Cat" sunroof-Kevin

OK, that explains what you were talking about.

Cool-Kevin