Why are the new car steering wheels so fat? What are people with tiny hands to do?

Just my 2 cents worth on power steering. Back in the 60’s, you could turn the wheel with one finger on a car with power steering. Very easy. Then somewhere maybe around the 90’s the force became harder. Maybe an engineer knows why but seems to me there was a lot of complaints about not being able to “feel” the road with the easy power steering. Now my Pontiac with standard hydraulic power steering takes a lot more effort than my Acura with electric power steering. So I don’t know if it’s engineering or the difference in electric versus hydraulic, but the Acura is much more like the cars of the 60’s.

So at any rate, if it is that big a deal, shop around at the different models to find one that fits. The Acura is far less tiring on a long drive than the Pontiac.

It seems to me that when imported cars became popular during the 1970s gas crisis, people discovered that those cars handled much better without ridiculously overboosted power steering and started developing a preference for that.

1 Like

I prefer the old skinny plastic large diameter steering wheels of the 60s and 70s even though I have very large hands. I can’t even find gloves that fit as the fingers on XXL gloves are too short. Also would prefer manual steering on small cars rather than electric power steering.

Thanks. I was surprised at how hard my Focus power steering is (next to last year of the Focus) will check when I shop for a new car!