Who still sells new cars with manual transmissions?

Back in January 1999 when I bought my car, I got a great deal on a left over 1998 Civic because nobody was buying cars with manual transmissions. Perhaps the OP is shopping too soon. If you wait until late January 2014 and ask to see 2013 models that are on the lot with stick shifts, you might be able to negotiate a better deal because that car has been sitting on the lot unsold. If I was in your shoes, I’d ask to see any manual transmission cars they have on the lot, new or used, test drive them, and then low-ball them with a ridiculously low offer. Sometimes it works.

Make sure you don’t give them the keys to your current car to inspect it as a trade-in without having a spare set of keys on hand. If they try to pull the old “we can’t find your keys” trick, you can say, “That’s okay. I brought two sets. Just call me when you find the other set. Bye!”

" If they try to pull the old ‘we can’t find your keys’ trick, you can say, ‘That’s okay. I brought two sets. Just call me when you find the other set. Bye!’ "

When a Honda dealership in NJ tried that tactic with me, my response–as I pulled out my cell phone–was, “You have exactly 3 minutes to locate my keys before I call the cops”.

It was amazing how fast they located my (supposedly) missing keys at that point.

And, needless to say, I will never visit that dealership again.

Another alternative is to say, “That’s cool. I have the VIN right here. You should be able to cut me a new key in your parts department with this VIN. I assume you’ll cut the new key for free. I’ll be waiting at the parts counter for my new key.”

I got a great deal on a left over 1998 Civic because nobody was buying cars with manual transmissions.

My nephew bought a 08 Civic last year. Took him over a month to find one with a manual. Manuals are getting scarce. And people who know how to drive them are even scarcer.

“I HATE taking it to the shop. I haven’t had a regular oil change in years”

Allow me to suggest that you reconsider this practice…

Most cars that won’t “break the piggy bank” that offer stick will be lower trim level cars.

talking to the local dealers, you can still buy all subcompacts with a stick shift and most Compacts like the Mazda 3, Corolla, Cruze, Civic, etc. Many midsize cars are still available with stick shifts as well.

A dealer may not stock them, but will get you one form somewhere else, if necessary.

@Same Mountain Bike - I knew the oil change thing read “stupid” as soon as I hit enter! :stuck_out_tongue: I mean that I take it in for an oil change and they find 10 other things that need fixed.

For example, at 67K miles, it’s on its third thermostat (original + 2 replacements at $900 each - last one was the oil change before this); needed a new battery, rear brakes, rotation and hydraulic system flush for $1,200. I can’t remember the last time I took it in for an oil change and had just an oil change. :frowning:

“at 67K miles, it’s on its third thermostat (original + 2 replacements at $900 each”

Huh?
A thermostat for your car should cost something like $35–or perhaps a bit more for a genuine OEM thermostat. Yes, a shop will mark-up the price of the part, and there is some labor involved, but…$900??

Unless there is a truly incredible amount of labor involved with replacing a thermostat on that model, the repair shop that you use has been royally raping your wallet by charging $900 for that job.