White stuff new rotors

Hello everyone,
I need help figuring out why there is white residue with my new gold ceramic rotors after using them for 10miles. ![image|375x500](upload://pkIViB9ha4XO8g8MQVOUR3HfUS.jpeg)

This seems like a question for the manufacture of the rotors or who ever you bought them from.

The white stuff is the gold coating wearing away mixing with the brake pad material. You didn’t really think they’d stay gold colored, did you?

2 Likes

the driver side brake discs seem to be doing all the work because passenger side rotors still have the coating. How do I balance the pressure?

There is no adjustment. Press on the pedal hard at a dead stop a couple of times. Then drive for a few miles and feel the wheel - carefully - to see if one is hotter than the other. Likely the drivers side may be sticking a bit OR it just hasn’t had enough time to break-in yet. If the drivers is consistently hotter, the caliper may need to be replaced, the slides lubed or the brake hose replaced.

Thank you, you’re the best.

1 Like

New rotors usually have to be washed off with hot soap and water before installing them. They come from the factory coated with an anti-rust surface treatment, which must be removed b/c it gunks up the pads & interferes with the braking otherwise. I’m not sure this is necessary for that particular type of rotor, but suggest to ask whoever installed them if they cleaned the rotors thoroughly prior to the install. If not they can probably clean them pretty good on the car, without needing to remove anything other than the wheels.

If you didn’t remove the oily anti rust coating from the rotors, the pads are now contaminated with it and it will take a long time to wear away and give you normal stopping power. My daughter had a brake job done at a shop closest to her and they did this.
When I visited her, I brought some tools and bought a couple of cand of brake cleaner. I took off the pads and rotors and some old towels (never throw out an old towel) then sprayed the rotors firsy and then kept spraying the pad surface and wiping with the towel before it could evaporate.

For good measure, I borrower her pad sander and medium sandpaper and sanded the pad surfaces. Good brakes restored.

The shop admitted what happened but claimed the oil would quickly burn away. I drove the cat 2 weeks after they did the job and the brakes were as she said terrible.

My son in law had started his own business and hadn’t had time to work on her car so neither one had had any work done by anyone outside the family.

I don’t change my oil to save money, it is just that I have never had it done that the didn’t mess something up. Chewer up drain plugs ( twice in a row ) Over tightened drain plugs so that when I changed it the next time small curls of the pan thread came out. Air cleaner assembly left disassembled after I declined to replace an air filter with only 5000 miles on it. Broken cabin filter cover when I declined replacing a cabin filter I had replaced the day before. He claimed it needed replacing because it was gray, I said “Yes , the ones with activated charcoal in them are.” That was at one of the free oil changes at my Toyota dealer. Oil overfilled, oil under filled, oil drain plug lose and dripping and oil filter loose and dripping.

If you can’t get an oil change right, you can’t be trusted to do anything right.

I had a friend who had a Ford Tempo and had a rear brake job done at the Ford dealer. The brakes started out good but in a matter of weeks the pedal would just keep sinking to the floor. They kept adjusting the brakes and sending the car on its way. This was a real pain because he needed a car ebery day to visit job sites so he had to swap cars with his wife and take her car. He asked me to do a rear brake job on it so I said come over Saturday and have lunch afterward. What I found when I took the brakes apart was a shiny new left side adjuster… on the right side of the car. The left side had a slightly rusty left side adjuster. Every time he backed up and stepped on the brakes, the right side was further unadjusting itself.

Did you replace the rotors and pads yourself? Is so, you should know whether the slides were lubed well or not when you reassembled the calipers.

The OP probably bought rotors coated like these thinking they’d stay that neat gold color. The coating is zinc-chromate coated so they won’t rust and they don’t need to be coated with oil or wax. The gold coloring wears right off and exposes the gray cast iron we all know and love (or hate). I’ve always thought they looked funny when in use with the gold and silvery bare iron.

2 Likes

IMO the color of well-used rotors makes for an attractive look for the wheel area. Tough as steel.