Which states have the worst drivers?

Worst would be anybody in NYC driving a garbage truck or bus, they run over people all the time. The mayor has had a ‘zero’ initiative for a while and it is a bit better. ( I should throw in cops both on and off duty)

For bad weather driving I would say NYers with 4 wheel drive suvs may have some problems. Waaay back in the late 70’s suv types. I was returning to my school in Syracuse during a snow storm, lots of drivers passed me. I never saw the ones with Canadian plates again but those w/ ny plates? yea, including one upside down on the side of the road with its wheels still turning.

Also gotta love the stats for under 9 years old is >5% in that article.

Boston’s Big Dig fits that. The finished Big Dig was built to accommodate more then twice the number of cars it did before the Big Dig. Immediately after the Big Dig was complete traffic was significantly better then it was before. Within 4 months after the Big Dig…traffic was back up. When asked why…“We didn’t know that many more people would be driving.”

How could they NOT KNOW. It was obvious.

1 Like

Years ago I played the original ‘SimCity’. One guideline I came across was ‘don’t worry too much about the Sims complaining they need more roads. They’ll be crowded no matter how many roads you build’.

It’s definitely a case of ‘if you build it, they will come’.

2 Likes

As the son of a late traffic engineer who specialized in mass transit systems, all of my cities in SimCity have an extensive underground subway system, a bus stop at each subway station, and a bus stop at each park, and that’s just a starting point.

The better your mass transit system works, the less people will want to drive, but it works better if you build the neighborhoods around the mass transit system, rather than the other way around.

1 Like

And then came the virus and people no longer want to live with or ride with masses of people. Best laid plans as they say.

1 Like

As with real life, you get hit with disasters in SimCity, and how the disaster plays out depends largely on how you plan for them, manage them, and learn from each event so you can improve your city in ways that make it less susceptible to disasters.

This is a reason to make sure you have adequate fire and police coverage, and there is good vehicular access to the hospitals.

In SimTower, it’s the number of security offices and their placement that make a difference when you get a bomb threat. If they’re spaced correctly throughout the building, but near the stairwells, you can feel more confident rolling the dice by not paying the ransom. Sometimes they even find the bomb before it goes off. The important thing is that they get the building evacuated before it goes off.

1 Like

Unfortunately many people are FORCED to. Boston (and many other cities) still had workers who couldn’t work remotely take the commuter rail or busses to work. Even during Covid some of those trains were packed.

I hate to keep picking, but like Generals, we are always preparing to fight the last war, not the current one. So shelter areas and bomb squads might make a big difference in insurrection, sealing plumbing, air leaks, and reducing common spaces is how you fight an airborne virus. Going to a hospital means you are close to losing the battle at that point. But Generals even learned the lesson of dispersing aircraft so it was harder to hit. Same with people.

OK, maybe it’s not the worst drivers but I believe that I’ve got the winner for worst driving area.
Cali may have earthquakes, the Rockies may have landslides, Florida 'gators and Maine moose but only I-95 between Baltimore/Washington has sharks!

“Sorry ma’am, Your husband survived the auto accident but then sharks got him” :confused:

2 Likes

In fishing country you will sometimes see trucks with tanks with fish or minnows in them being transported by either DNR or private. That’s how they seed the lakes and collect minnows for fishing. Now if you are driving on the ice on the lake, and see a bunch of brush on the ice, avoid that area. That’s where they have cut a big hole in the ice to collect fish and minnows. The brush is there as a multi-language warning. Public service announcement for tender foots. I never would have known if my dad didn’t tell me.

Forgive me for being a southerner but why would anyone want to drive on a frozen lake or river?

To get to or set up or retrieve your fish house. Ice fishing is a big sport. Or to just have fun driving on ice or snow mobiling across the lake.

1 Like

I guess that is something I will never understand. I like to fish as a hobby {catch and release } but in warm weather wearing nothing but bluejean’s and a shirt not cold weather clothes as for driving on ice and snow when I was still working and had to do it I never remembered seeing any fun in it.

I will have to admit Minn. is a pretty state in the summer not so pretty to me in the winter and the winter’s are too long with y"all only having two season’s July and winter.

I’d guess the sharks were going to the National Aquarium on the Baltimore Inner Harbor.

I live about 25 miles out in the sticks so bad drivers are not much of a problem here. But the ones that are pull some stunts that should get their vehicles impounded. Usually involving farmers.

Going to OK City I go over the top of a rise on a 2 lane state highway and had to veer into the northbound lane to avoid hitting a Ford King Cab that was parked at a 45 degree angle; half on the road and half in the ditch. The rancher was leaning against a fence post counting heads on his cattle.

Two farmers here parked on the 2 lane county highway. One facing east and the other west; blocking both lanes. They were in the middle leaning against their pickups chatting while vehicles had to go onto the shoulder to get around.

In one case a 16 year old was driving a huge John Deere 4WD tractor pulling a fold up disc. No lights on the rear of the tractor or the disc. Night, cool, a bit foggy. Two married couples in a pickup came over a rise and plowed into the disc; killing both of the husbands who were in the front seat.