Which oil for 2017 Acura MDX?

Around here - Dealer sale prices for an oil change is $80. If I went to the dealer and bought the filter and oil from them it would cost me more then $39. They charge $9/qt for oil and $15 for filter. My vehicle uses 6.5 quarts of oil. Just the oil and filter from the dealer and me doing the labor is over $70.

You also have to deal with their bullsh*t. One time this local dealer was running a special on safety inspections. So I took my truck there. They cam back with all these repairs costing over $1000 they said my truck needed. One was a timing belt. The timing belt was 2 months old. No thank youā€¦Iā€™ll either to the work myself or find a good HONEST independent.

I have two Acuras. I have a free coupon for the next oil change plus tire rotation and wash at the selling dealership. When I donā€™t have a coupon, I check the websites of the local Acura, and Honda dealerships and look for specials. The last service I had done was at a Honda store. Itā€™s closer the my Acura dealer and uses the same oil and filter.

Iā€™m in Southern California and around here me taking my car to a Ford dealer or a independent the ford dealer is actually cheaper than what the independent mechanic will charge me. Of course heā€™s a small little shop so you are paying a little more because his overhead is higher among other things, me thinks anyway. $40 vs $60

1 Like

For me it is a convenience and the price is competitive. If you like doing it yourself, more power to you.