Which is bettter, Porsche (1999) or Audi TT (2001)

Greetings,

I am planning to buy a used sports car, which I would sell out next year. I am dabbling between Porsche Boxter (1999) and Audi TT (2001). Because I want to sell it next year, Would you please advise me if which car will be sold faster between given models next year? What is the current sold out rate of used cars of above models?

Thanks,

Jaydeep

Neither. Stop kidding yourself. You’re not buying the car, you’re buying the badge. Take some salsa dance lessons, wear your pants lower than your belly button, and learn a foreign language. You’ll spend less, but yield the same result. Ciao!

I don’t know anything about the Porsche but my Uncle owns a 2002 Audi TT and he hates it with a passion. It’s spent most of this year at the Audi dealer getting fixed. Frankly I wouldn’t recommend buying either but if you are absolutely dead set on it i’d go with the Porsche.

EDIT: Or you could go with my personal favorite, the Honda S2000! :slight_smile:

great choice nfs480! Best “bang” for the buck.

Which ever you get, you’ll lose money on this. The only way you’re gonna make money on a used car is if you find an old rust bucket from the 50~60s and restore it to show room condition, and even then you might be lucky to break even.

Buy whichever you like, they are not really similar cars. We are talking about toys, not transportation; so it is not a logical choice, it’s an emotional one. The cost and resale will depend on the specific car and your location, you may make or lose money on either one. Drive them both and buy the one that makes you smile the most. If you are worried about cost buy the ricer and pretend it’s a real sports car, it’s only a year.

I’d go with the Boxster, the audi is just a glorified VW Beetle and really isn’t a sports car IMO. However the Boxster will be quite costly to service and repair due to it’s mid engine layout.

I know a woman with an Audi TT and she also hates it! The number of phantom electrical problems on that car has been absolutely mind-boggling, and the dealership has never been able to make the windshield wipers work properly.

The only way that she can get the wipers to work is first turn them on (nothing happens), and then to POUND very hard on a specific place on the dashboard. Then, suddenly, the wipers will work. They do occasionally stop working during a rain storm, and the solution is to (you guessed it) POUND again on that same place on the dashboard. Clearly, it is a bad electrical connection, but the dealership seems to be powerless to resolve that issue. The other electrical issues were resolved after only a few dozen trips to the dealership.

If you want to avoid spending many hours in the mechanic’s waiting area on a regular basis, the Porsche is probably a better choice–but a Honda S-2000 would be a much better choice, as was already suggested.

I know an Audi TT (2001) convertible owner who absolutely loves it. It has very few problems and when it does(all cars do no matter how much people brag) he has a decent independent mechanic who know how to fix it.

It has an odd special edition interior IMHO is very odd for a german car. The seats are made out of baseball glove material and stiched liked a glove. Beautiful car.

Which one is a “ricer”. They both are made in Germany?

With buying a car this old depreciation is very little over one year. If you buy very low(trade in value) and are patient and sell at high private sale value you can have a minimal vehicle cost to you over one year.

If you’re set on doing this sell-after-a-year thing, my opinion is that it won’t matter much, so get whichever one you like more. Which is the Porsche, of course, because it’s one of the sexiest, best performing vehicles out there, and the Audi TT is an eyesore. Might as well buy a VW Bug if you like the TT.

Again, my opinion. :slight_smile:

Of the two, the Boxster is far and away the better car. Both are expensive to maintain. They need repairs more often than a Honda or Toyota and the repairs are more expensive. Before deciding on either, also look at the Mazda Miata, Honda S2000 and Nissan 350Z.

Whatever you buy, since it will be used, pay for a thorough pre-purchase inspection by an honest, qualified mechanic so that you will know what you are getting yourself into.

Good luck getting the Porsche for fairly cheap(in terms of used car prices anyways). If they’re only gonna keep it a year(whichever one they choose), I doubt he’ll try to properly maintain it, so yeah, they’ll come out ahead if he can buy low and sell high a year later. But the odds of that happening are pretty low, better off playing the stock market.

The difference between a 2002 and a 2001 Audi roadster is about $700; The difference between the 2000 and 1999 Boxter is about $1000. If that’s too much, don’t do it. I don’t think that any of us know what the days on the market are for these cars.

I was referring to the honda recommendations, but I hate to actually use the “h-word.”

Dig up the issues of Road and Track that did long term revues of both cars ! Overall the Boxster while very tempting is a dog ! The Audi is no gem but at least you don’t have to pull the engine for most maintenance ! Both are money pits !

If you care about cost, don’t buy either of these toys. Any sports car is expensive to maintain, if that’s a problem just buy an asian clone of a sports car.

Not necessarily, Both my Mustang and my TR6 are pretty inexpensive to keep up and running. I’ve never had to do anything other than normal maintence and replace the EGR valve. The TR6 doesn’t get driven much, but the parts for it are fairly price (but not readily availible) The Miata is dirt cheap to maintain as well, and the Honda 2k is well, a honda so it’ll keep running until the end of time.

I think we are in agreement, those ricer clones are dirt cheap to run, a real sports car will cost a lot more. The TR6 would probably get expensive if you actually used it on a regular basis. If you put a couple of 100K miles on either the porsche or the audi, you will spend some money; that’s OK as long as you know what you’re getting into.