Which is Best: Haynes or Chilton Repair Manuals?

I have a 2000 Toyota Camry. Which manual is better or do they complement each other? Doesn’t (didn’t) Toyota itself have a manual for the car and if so how does that compare?

Or are there others out there?

A Haynes or a Chilton’s repair manual is fine for the shadetree mechanic as they provide general repair procedures. But if you need a more in depth manual for your vehicle either get a factory manual or subscribe to one of the on-line repair services such as AllData.

However, if you decide to go with the Haynes or Chilton’s manual, be warned that the wiring schematics are wrong in these manuals. I’ve compared a Haynes manaul wiring diagram to a wiring diagram from AllData for the same vehicle, and the Haynes was totally incorrect and left out components such as relays for circuits. So for that reason I only trust wiring diagrams if they also include such as in your case, Courtesy of Toyota Motor Company.

Tester

Thanks. I don’t really repair my car but would use this as a reference for maintenance and checking problems out before I bring it to a mechanic. I’d guess that the Toyota manual is far more expensive than the two I mentioned.

Helm Inc. Sells The 2 Volume Set Of 2000 Toyota Camry Factory Manuals For 140 Bucks + S&H (In Stock). They Can Be Ordered Online.

I always order manuals from Helm for each of my GM cars, but I do work on my cars. I have always received excellent service from them going back to my new 1976 Chevrolet Luv pick-up Truck. If you’re going to have the car for a while you could consider these manuals.

CSA

I’ve found that Haynes is better than Chiltons, but Haynes leaves a lot to be desired, even for simple things like changing bulbs or fixing a washer nozzle.

With A Manual And A $50 Actron Pocket Scan Code Reader From Sears You Can Get An Idea What’s Going On With That Camry When The “Check Engine” Light Illuminates.

You can retrieve codes from your car’s computer that will give you a “heads up” as to which system has a fault and get an idea of possible reasons for the failure when you look it up in your manual.

CSA

I’ve found that the Hanyes manuals usually have better step-by-step instructions, but the Chilton’s usually has more diagnostic information (and as the others have said, there is much to be desired from both-- if you can get a factory manual from cheap off eBay that’d be ideal). I think for your purposes a Chilton’s would be better.

The Toyota shop manual on my 2002 Sienna really doesn’t tell you how to do anything. If you buy the Toyota shop manual, you will still have to buy the H. or C. one if you actually want to do anything. The Toyota shop manual seems to be written for experienced mechanics who don’t need it.

The one exception is, it does provide extensive trouble-shooting help on CEL computer error codes.

Whether it is worth the very large price they charge is a decision you will have to make for yourself.

I would add that the ability to check for technical service bulletins a big complement to any manual (recalls you will be notified about).

Both Haynes and Chilton fall short in interior trim instructions.
EBESCO is a good source to log on to (probably from your library or get subscription)
Myself its FSM with AlLData complement.

In regards to Helm, I don’t do business with them because of their unjustified “order processing fee” for Factory Service Manuals (hence to be forever refered to as FSM’s) I go with “books4cars”.

Anybody ever buy a “Clymer” ? absolute worst.

thanks; found a website http://www.tradebit.com/filesharing.php/search/0/toyota
that has manuals to download very cheaply. from that page you can search other cars etc.