Which high mileage car is better?

I’m looking to purchase a more economical vehicle to use for daily use as well as longer road trips. I’m looking at either a 2004-2010 Toyota Corolla or a 2006-2011 Honda Civic. Most of the ones in my price range have anywhere from 170,000-220,000 miles. Which model is better in terms of reliability with high mileage?

Neither.

At that mileage, condition, maintenence history and corrosion tops brand.

7 Likes

Again, all I can do is to echo Mustangman’s response. While the Corolla initially had slightly better reliability/durability than the Civic, the way that an older car was driven, and the way that it was maintained by the previous owners (there could have been many owners after the passage of all those years) are the key criteria for the future reliability/durability of the car that you buy.

I can understand the OP being locked into vehicles of a certain age, due to financial constraints, but if he/she wants to avoid buying a money pit, he/she needs to spend the money to have the finalist for purchase inspected by a trusted mechanic–before actually buying the car.

3 Likes

Earlier this week, my wife’s 1985 Toyota Corolla LE (bought new…) with only 232,000 miles on it had a major breakdown. The oil pressure sending unit failed after only 38-years. It cost over $15.00 ($6.00 for the sensor and $9.53 for the 27mm socket… Prices include tax and military discounts…) to change it. So No, an older high mileage car is a “Money Pit…”. Go buy yourself a new car, finance it for 7 to 10 years and put no money down so it remains “under water” from the get go… (Did I really just write that? I sure did, I hope you know this is all for fun. The repair actually took less time than going to get the part and I had to go to only two different stores, Advance for the sensor and O-Reillys for the socket…) and the wife made my favorite supper for fixing her “baby…”

If you do not follow my “advice” you will be a smarter and more financially secure person for it…

Either of your options should give you good service and the advice @Mustangman gave is good advice. Just do not fall for the first shinny model you see, it might have just left the body shop. A CarFax and inspection by a real mechanic with a lift can save you a lot in the long run…

And no, she’s not for sale…

2 Likes

Also consider a Mazda. We’re on our 3rd Mazda 3, and they’re wonderful cars. Somehow Mazda seems to fly and stay under the radar.

2 Likes

You just dashed @George_San_Jose1’s dreams…. :blush:

4 Likes

Excellent advice above, both Civic & Corolla good make/model choices for daily driver used cars, Mazda 3 as well; but at that age the specific candidate’s condition is where the rubber hits the road. Pay your own mechanic (not one selected by the seller) to do a pre-purchase inspection. They’ll know what to do, check for leaks, tires, listen for any weird engine or transmission noises, brakes, title matches VIN, etc. Also make sure their test includes:

• Does the check engine light turn on with key in “on” but engine not started?
  • Does it turn off immediately after starting engine?
  • Are all of the diagnostic system’s readiness monitors in the “complete” state?
  • Are there any current or pending diagnostic codes?

As far as the Corolla, I own a 30 year old OBD I version, was my daily driver from new until spring of 2020 when it was forced off the road due to Covid/treadmill-emissions testing safety concerns. The model years you are looking at, that won’t be a problem, as they are OBD II technology, no treadmill testing required. My gf had a 2004 Corolla, sold at the 14 year mark and bought a new 2018 Corolla, never had any significant problems with either car. 2004 was purchased by college student, still on the road as daily driver. My San Diego friend also owns 2014 Corolla, and did recently have a serious problem. Corolla’s diagnostic system refused to complete one of the emissions-system’s readiness self-tests, so registration couldn’t be renewed until paying $300 fee to a dealership. Dealership didn’t fix anything, nothing broken, but dealership had the equipment needed to complete the emissions readiness test. So if you purchase a Corolla, readiness monitor problems is one expense you may have, quite possibly not w/the Civic.

1 Like

In my opinion Toyota Camry is best option

2 Likes

thats cool old is gold

I don’t what kind of vehicle it is…a vehicle with this many miles the first thing to consider is how well it was maintained.

As far as that generation Honda Civic you’re looking at . . . AVOID the hybrid model
It had major problems with the high voltage battery

As far as the gasoline engine Civics from that generation go, some of them had problems with cracked blocks

Pay a shop or mechanic that is NOT affiliated or related to the seller in any way to check out any vehicle you’re considering buying

2 Likes

It also seems Toyota might have an edge with the automatic transmissions. Hondas seem a little more temperamental.

1 Like