Which anti-seize for the wheel nuts?

This topic is a bit like conventional vs synthetic oils.

Brings out the passion :grinning:

2 Likes

Professional mechanics are required to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations. DIY’ers aren’t. The manufacturer’s recommendations are probably the safest bet, but not always the most practical for the diy’er.

1 Like

Maybe the manufacturer’s recommendations are based strictly on the best procedures when working on late model vehicles operated and maintained by factory trained mechanics under somewhat ideal conditions. I have retorqued lug nuts with a 4-way lug wrench on several occasions when the customer was concerned about needing to change a tire on the shoulder working alone. Even then there was never a problem with a wheek getting loose. But working in the real world often requires some deviation from the specification it seems.

Anyone still use STP? 1967 commercial.

For many years I mixed 1 part STP with 2 parts motor oil as assembly lube. When the bearing companies began marketing a light grease I was impressed with it and dropped the home made stew but never had a problem with it. As an additive I never used it except when hoping to keep an engine running a few more miles until it was convenient to rebuild it when the oil presure was very low. It’s funny how thick oils and STP products were all the rage 50 years ago while thinner is the rage today.

My take on STP uses was it was an oil thickener to make up for piston wear, I could be wrong

I have a jug of Lucas Oil Treatment. It reminds me of STP. I squirt a few ounces into the lawn mower’s crankcase, following recommendations.
CSA

1 Like

STP was developed for the German army in WWll because of oil shortages.

I used it once in my Pontiac about 1969. I don’t remember why except the car had about 100,000 on it. It was like pouring honey and didn’t really notice any difference although I’m sure it made the oil a lot thicker.

STP was developed in 1954.

http://www.studebaker-info.org/Indy/turbine.htm

Tester

I wish he would have spent more time trying to save Studebaker though.

Missing my 68 cougar, 71 ranchero, and 72 Nova, water under the bridge. not missing the 88 Monte carlo,

72 Nova in good condition would be pretty valuable as a classic.

Yeah, maybe 71 small v8 Maroon with a white vinyl top, traded in in 1990, no place to keep old cars, oh well, miss the 68 cougar xr7 white with black vinyl top more. Though for $15k I might just buy a restored one.

I read this classics car restoration magazine on occasion and there was an article in a recent issue about this fellow in England who built a “garage” for his car collection. He referred to it as a “lad’s den”. You know, like a boy’s club. But it really was a huge warehouse, probably 10,000 square feet, with an overhead crane 
 must have cost over $100,000 just for the building 
 “Lad’s Den” 
 right 
 lol 

For the rest of us, no regrets. If you don’t have room for it, sell it. You can’t keep everything you ever owned.

A Lad’s Den in Great Britain would probably be a Man Cave in the U.S!
America, what a country!
CSA

I’m not really a fan of vinyl roofs, fwiw

Most people se days, but it was a big part of the outdo industry in the 1960s/1970s. I have no problem with vainly roofs on cars of that era.

? Vinyl roof covfefe?
CSA

2 Likes

Keyboard needs lubricated ?

2 Likes