Where does a tire's sidewall end and the trad begin?

@jtsanders

I would have no problem going to a store that cards everybody, because then I know I get treated the same as everybody else. Fair is fair

What I can’t stand is selectively carding people, and then often carding people that look like they’re the PARENTS of those underage drinkers, as I mentioned

But around here, I’m not aware of any stores that card everybody. I would gladly go there, if it meant avoiding the BS

I have been carded at age 67 and begrudgingly produced my license but as I turned to leave recognized that the customer behind me was 6’+ and 200#+ but looked 17 and I guessed that the clerk was using me to make it easier to ask the high school linebacker for his card. Of course he had it out by the time he stepped up to the counter.

And BTW, who remembers draft cards? They were the preferred ID in the late 60s.

Many state regulations for those selling liquor don’t allow the seller discretion in whether to card or not. They require everyone to be carded. Many private businesses require it as policy even where state regulations don’t. If a store loses its liquor license, it loses a ton of revenue. If I had a store that sold liquor, carding would not be optional.

@“the same mountainbike”

I would welcome that kind of approach . . . card everybody, whether they appear to be 18 years old or 81 years old

equal treatment for all

it reminds me of an incident quite awhile back

I seem to remember a rather low-ranking soldier . . . maybe an MP . . . stopped the President and asked to see his ID. I think the President was on a base. The president was not upset. Rather, he produced the ID and told the soldier he was doing his job well

Although I wonder if the soldier’s commander reprimanded him for it :frowning:

BTW . . . I don’t even remember which president it was :fearful:

Yeah I had one patched close to the sidewall so I could make a 400 mile trip. Didn’t have much choice at the time. It held but I was checking the TPMS all the time and put new tires on the next week. There’s too much flex for a good repair.

I would welcome that kind of approach . . . card everybody, whether they appear to be 18 years old or 81 years old

equal treatment for all

There’s a grocery store in upstate NY now moving into New England (have a couple stores in MA already) called Wegmans. They card everyone. Just last year I drove my father-in-law to the store to buy some beer…They carded him. I’m in my 60’s, and father-in-law is close to 90. The clerk has to type in the drivers-license number in order for the sale to be processed.

The clerk has to type in the drivers-license number in order for the sale to be processed.

Here the stores that card everybody only have to put in your birthday, I prefer to remain anonymous and use the stores that don’t card me for the most part.

Here the stores that card everybody only have to put in your birthday

And the problem with that is the clerk can still get away with selling beer to his underage friends.

There are scanners now to detect fact drivers licenses that many stores are using…at a security conference I saw a demo of an app on you iphone that can do it also.

I agree that I don’t like clerks and stores having access to my DL # and stored in their computers forever. Around here its just birthday but the penalties for underage selling is so severe that its just not done-much. You lose your license to sell and that’s a big profit center to some, including our little theater company. We check ID’s on anyone that looks anywhere close to 40. I’ve been carded buying Cigs but not alcohol for some reason. Maybe its the age of the clerks since they don’t sell alcohol in the grocery stores. Of course I probably only buy it once or twice a year anyway.