New tire, how to avoid problems

First post here. Wondering if i could get your input on something tire related. Brought my wife’s dodge journey to the tire shop for flat repair and they told us bc it was a sidewall puncture it had to be replaced. Car has 25k miles on it (we are original owners). We replace the right front tire. the rest of the tires are in fine shape, no uneven wear, but it occured to me that i now have one “new tire” and three tires with 25k miles on them. Is this a problem? Just as additional info, the rest of the tires have about 8/32 of tread left on them. new one 10/32.

thanks

Is the Journey all wheel drive?

no, just front wheel drive. my main concern is about alignment issues in the future or somehow the other tires wearing unevenly bc of the pulling to the right side.

You should be good. If the car pulls to one side with the new tire on the front, swap it to the rear. If it is OK at the front, the next time you rotate tires (and you DO rotate tires, right?) leave it on the front but swap sides. The fronts on a front-wheel-drive cars wear faster and you can “catch up” the new one to the rest.

the tires are directional, and aren’t supposed to be swapped side to side, just front to back. i was thinking something similar, and just leaving it on the front for a couple of the rotation turns and put it back in the rotation when it wore down a little closer to the others. i’m still a little puzzled why they couldn’t just repair the slow leak in teh side wall. there has to be a patch for that i would imagine.

Several reasons for not patching a sidewall.
1.Against the law in many or most states.
2.Danger of a sidewall blowout.
3.A sue-happy populace ready to bring lawsuits against everyone in the tire supply line when and if that tire gives up; even if it was properly patched and the ensuing blowout had nothing to do with the patch.

I dunno. I think you at least need to have two tires the same for the front. Transmissions don’t like it when one tire spins faster than the other one all the time. In reality, you’ve only got maybe 25K left on those tires so I would consider just replacing them all. Can’t believe you are going to get more than 40-50K on factory tires unless they are hard as a rock.

The Rubber Manufacturers Association guide for proper tire repair;

http://www.rma.org/tire-safety/tire-repair/

if the other original tires last until 40k total i would be happy with that. but think i am going to end up buying another one to match. something just doesn’t feel right about this. i hate to take off a perfectly good tire that has a probably more than a year left of driving on it. if i left the more worn tires on the back for a while and the new ones on the front that could help balance things out. i wonder if there might be places that would buy that other tire?

I had a similar problem. I picked up a screw in the right rear tire of my 2006 Chevrolet Uplander and the tire was losing air which I discovered one evening after I came home from work. I had to be at a meeting in a town 20 miles away at 10:00 the next morning and had another person going with me. I took the Uplander to the nearest tire shop that opened at 7:30 a.m. It was determined that the tire couldn’t be repaired, so it was replaced with the tire shop’s “Big O” brand. The other tires on the Uplander were Goodyear. I was going to buy another “Big O” tire when I got back, but I didn’t have any problems in the way the Uplander drove, so I didn’t bother with buying another tire. The mismatched tires were on the rear and the Uplander is a front wheel drive, so there wasn’t a problem with differential wear.

According to what I was able to find on the internet, a brand new tire of your size will turn 691 revs per mile. With tread worn 1/16", the tire will turn 694 revs per mile. This is a negligible change; probably a smaller difference in turning speed than driving on a curvy road. The new tire’s tread wear will tend to catch up to the others and especially when on the front as has been mentioned. Also, it has been stated that tire treads wear faster when the tread is deepest.

Unless you replace the other three, you are always going to be out of sync with two or three tires different. So you’ll have two or three tires worn and one ok or two worn and two ok so they’ll always be different. Sometimes you just have to take the hit. At least I’d put the new one on the back, then buy four new ones when the time comes, with one still good. Otherwise buy three more new ones now and be done with it and hope you don’t wreck one again.

This is such a waste of money. Please do buy more tires as it helps your sanity and our economy. But beyond that, you are not doing any damage to your car since it is not AWD. I wanted to state this because too many people are OCD and do things with no real benefit.

You should ALWAYS by tires in pairs or all four. never buy just one tire…Do you have a full size spare? Great! Use it! along with the new tire. make the extra tire the spare…

One other thought:

In emergency situations, vehicles tend to pivot around the odd tire - and the more odd it is, the worse this can be.

A simple difference in wear is a concern, but not as great a concern as - say - a different brand would be.

If you get an opportunity to do this safely, try a really hard brake test and see if you get a severe pull - and by safely, I mean somewhere that loss of control won’t cause you to hit anything.

Assuming you rotate your tires on a regular schedule, keep the new tire on the front a few cycles longer than you normally would.