When You get an Electronic Vehicle (EV), how will you charge it?

Right around 400 volts DC. Instant death if you bridge the circuit with your body. Comforting, isn’t it?

2 Likes

Then that means if you are in the water anywhere near it if the battery is under water you would die right?

I presume you live in Texas. I can see why a person might shy away from EV’s there. One reason is gasoline is pretty inexpensive. Another, worry about the charge running out. Years ago I interviewed for a job in Dallas, at lunch they decided to take me out to a restuarant. I figured we’d go a few blocks and park. Instead we drove and drove and drove … lol. all the way to Ft Worth. So driving a ways to get where you are going is more commonplace there it seems. Here in Silicon Valley it would be unusual to drive more than 3-4 miles to go to a restaurant at lunch.

A sunken EV… It might not be a good outcome…

Not sure what safety disconnects they may have onboard. Would be a similar problem to the massive flooding of a battery fire of water required to put it out.

I think that condition could have been foreseen… so maybe a disconnect at each bank of cells is included… sort of like a GFCI outlet. Or at least I certainly HOPE so! There have been no electrocutions with the battery fires seen so far.

I haven’t read of an EV being dunked, yet, but I’ll bet Florida will be the first state to have one!

4 Likes

I think it should be mandatory for lawmakers to drive across Texas, Kansas, Wyoming or Montana to get a better understanding of the vast distances that states like these cover. It isn’t Rhode Island. It isn’t even Pennsylvania. These states are vast and lightly populated.

Last time I drove across Texas, the speed limit was 55 mph. I widely ignored it and it still took 16 hours to cross on I-10.

4 Likes

We bought a hybrid by mistake at the scrap yard. No outlet for Li Ion here. The battery (not the regular one) was placarded with numerous death threats. Not sure how real they were or how that compares to an EV, but we backed out and gave it back to the towing company at a loss.

Thank you for that information I did not even thing about the possible GFI solution as far as Florida being the first state to have a dunking of EV I agree if people drive just as crazy as they did when I lived there.

1 Like

How do you think truck drivers felt when it was time to fill out their logbook.

Deliver a load from Memphis to El Paso, return load to Memphis
Logbook entry…Tuesday, 12 hours, Texas
Wednesday, Ditto
Left El Paso for Memphis
Thursday, Yup, 12 hrs more Texas
Friday, You know it… 12 hrs, guess where?

Something like that?

2 Likes

Been there done that many more times than I can remember. Also got a lot of Atlanta Georgia to Laredo Texas runs.

1 Like

The warnings are real, similar voltage, just not as big a battery as an EV… kill you just as dead, tho!

Must be treated with care.

1 Like

I know you have probably heard of Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys do miles and miles of Texas the first time I took my wife to Texas she said he surely didn’t lie.

1 Like

Not true. Interesting story about the current wars when Edison was selling DC and Westinghouse was competing with AC for dominance in the US and world markets. The Edison people would do a show where they would hook up wires to a dog and shock it with 500 VDC. It would shake up the dog a little but didn’t knock it out or kill it. Then they would wire it up to 110 VAC and in seconds, the dog would be dead. They were trying sell DC as being safer.

Also, the Electric Chair was not designed as a humane way of execution, in fact it is very gruesome and painful. It was designed by the Edison group to further prove how dangerous AC was.

2 Likes

These places all HAD r. ail service in the past . My hometown had 10000 people in the 40s and I twice traveled by train almost 8 hours to New York City then and I had my choice of two railroads, each with its own station. In the 1920s you could get almost anywhere in Western NY bu. In the 950s you could get from downtown Buffalo to downtown Niagara Falls in 15 minutes via the Beeliner , a 80 mph Budd self propelled passenger car.

We had the infrastructure, we threw it away.

1 Like

Someone sold each of those passengers cheap automobiles.

3 Likes

There’s a charger just off I-70 in Flagler Colorado, where my grandfather grew up population 550 (2019 estimate) and I highly doubt anyone who lives there would buy an EV unless forced to. The closest car dealership’s are in Limon which is 35mi away.

We didn’t throw it away, the federal government bought those unprofitable passenger lines and named it Amtrak… where it is still unprofitable today!

Railroads lost money on passenger service since the Great Depression and that accelerated as rail travel greatly declined in the 1950s. Passenger routes decreased in the 1960s until the Gov formed Amtrak in 1971 as a for-profit passenger rail service. Like every other Gov run “business”, it has run in the red ever since.

1 Like

Not the voltage… but the amperage, it seems. Thanks

Between here in Olympia and Portland Oregon if you don’t have a car your choices are Amtrak and Greyhound for basically the same fare and travel time. Main difference is Amtrak has 3-4 trips per day on the Cascades route for about $25 each way. Your train might be delayed because Burlington Northern freight has priority over Amtrak.

Thats not really true either. Ohm’s Law works equally for both AC and DC. What makes AC deadlier is that our bodies nervous system also works at around 50-60 Hz so AC at around those frequencies interrupts the nervous system and causes the heart to get out of sync.

Whether you die or not is dependent on lot of variables, there is no simple formula. One day you get a little buzz, next time you’re in the morgue.

3 Likes