When will the lawsuits end?

I’m going to assume you weren’t asking a real question . . .

I’m with wentwest on this one. I can’t stand to have things in my pockets, especially when sitting in a car. It’s uncomfortable. Even at work I empty my pockets. I can’t imagine working on a car with keys, a wallet, and change in my pocket. Well, I refuse to carry change anyway, but that’s another story.

I’ll be glad when I have a car with pushbutton start. I’d rather walk around with just a fob in my pocket than a fob and a key.

I have had a rental once with the push button start. It might be a bit more convenient, but I would never pay extra to have one. Turning the car off the first time was a bit extra work. But I can not see how you can leave it running. But we are a lawsuit happy society.

When will the lawsuits end?

When people stop blaming everybody else for their own Stupidity, negligence, overindulgence, incompetence, or what ever short coming. Or we get rid of all personal injury lawyers. Neither of which is ever going to happen. So I guess he short answer is never.

Yeah I’m used to the keyless thing now but my wife says she will never have a car without keyless now. Kind of limits the discussion a little.

I carry a key fob, lots of keys, loose change, and my cell phone in my front pants pocket

I carry my wallet in my back pocket

I get by just fine

One of the posts above reminded me that exiting my car (with keyless ignition) while the engine is running makes my car beep vigorously for 5 seconds. If you are so clueless that you forget to turn off your car AND ignore the furious beeping when you get out then I imagine your life will end in some calamity soon, even if your car doesn’t kill you.

As another poster iterated above, I would not pay extra for the feature but it happened to come with the car. Like many features we car owners fall in love with, we never consider its usefulness until we get stuck with it. I never had automatic transmission, A/C, power windows or power locks until my dad passed down a car to me with those features. I had looked down my nose at people who “needed” those options until I owned a car with them. Suddenly they were not only useful but required on all future car purchases (with the exception of the A/T since I prefer a stick shift). I have similarly fallen in love with satellite radio (which I swore I would NEVER pay for until I had it),Bluetooth connectivity to my phone and power seats with memory. Could I live without all that stuff? Sure! But I drive 40,000 miles a year and I am easy to impress!

I have to agree with Bloody Knuckles.
Like him, I never thought that I would want satellite radio, and I was sure that I would allow it to expire after the 3 month free trial that came with my car. In reality, I just did my second 3 year renewal of my satellite radio subscription!

I no longer drive that many miles per year, but I would still not want to be without my power seats with power lumbar support, Bluetooth connectivity, A/C, power windows and locks, and automatic transmission. I also really like having my navigation system displayed on a large in-dash screen, rather than a tiny add-on device, and I REALLY like having the audio system and the Bluetooth integrated with the nav system, so that audio and phone are temporarily unavailable when the nav system is giving me a driving direction.

In the winter, I wouldn’t want to be without my heated seats, heated mirrors, and heated windshield wipers.

My own cars have always had A/C because I always wanted it as a child when our first cars were sans A/C. Some of my cars had a manual shift, but–trust me–just one trip into NYC with a manual shift car would probably convince most manual shift fans of the superiority of an automatic transmission!

Similarly, since my next car will most likely come with keyless ignition, I will probably get to like it–even though I really dislike having anything in my pockets while I am driving.

Simple solution: Have the car’s software scream bloody murder if you open the door with the engine still running, or at least blink the display, do something to let you know. Or have it shut off the engine if the fob is no longer detected inside the vehicle.

Sadly, we all have absent-minded moments as we get older. I could totally see how someone with an especially quiet car could do this with a car that just requires you to have the fob on you to start it. A coworker left their not so quiet vehicle running in the parking lot, managed to lock their keys in it, and only found out when security sent out an email about a running car in the parking lot.

Personally I LIKE having a standard ignition lock and turning a key to start my car. It’s a lot more satisfying somehow than pushing a button like you’re starting up a blender or something.

Anyone can be preoccupied and forget things like punching the bottom to turn the engine off. Over time, this should happen less.

Sadly, we all have absent-minded moments as we get older. I could totally see how someone with an especially quiet car could do this with a car that just requires you to have the fob on you to start it.
Anyone can be preoccupied and forget things like punching the bottom to turn the engine off. Over time, this should happen less.
I can totally understand people forgetting to punch the button. But the lawsuit mentioned earlier about the CO from forgetting to shut the car off is in my mind ridiculous, tragic but ridiculous. If I forget to lock my door can my family sue the lock maker if some one walks in kills me? I don't think they can. But maybe that's just my simple thinking.

I will say that it is hard to imagine someone can’t hear the engine in their garage unless they’re hard of hearing.

“I will say that it is hard to imagine someone can’t hear the engine in their garage unless they’re hard of hearing.”

I can imagine it

Because many engines are pretty quiet

And the door from the garage into the house is probably closed

And the garage door is closed

And over the years, people do tend to lose some of their hearing

Our attached garage is fully insulated and I put nylon rollers on the overhead garage door. I can open the garage door and pull my truck in and my wife will not hear it and there is nothing wrong with her hearing.

Started to say something about Electric cars-“forget it”

Won’t it be convenient when cars drive themselves ? All we’ll have to figure out then is how to build a robot to carry us from the recliner & put us in the car .