When should I sell my 2000 Toyota 4Runner?

My 2000 Toyota 4Runner has 83,000 miles on it. It runs great and is in good condition with new tires. I haven’t calculated gas mileage on it, but it’s an SUV, so it’s probably not as good as I’d prefer. I drive it on 3-6 hour road trips once a week and infrequent town driving during the week.

But my driving habits will soon be changing, more just infrequent town driving with maybe once a month on a longer road trip. I also anticipate needing a car lower to the ground in the next year or two (to take my 78-year-old mother out on errands).

How much longer do you think I can depend on my 4 Runner to be trouble free and worthy of selling? What’s the longevity on a 4 Runner?

If you’ve been keeping to the maintenance schedule in the owner’s manual your 4 Runner has lead an easy life so far. It should last a long, long time. That said it is getting older and things like a battery, or an alternator are bound to fail eventually due to age. You are also due, or overdue, for the major maintenance if the motor in your 4 Runner uses a timing belt. If it does it is time to get it replaced if you have yet to do so.

If you want to sell the car it should be easy to sell especially if you can document all the previous service with receipts and service records.

My last Toyota pickup lasted 338,000 miles (17 years) before it got totalled by an errant Hyundae. The one before that lasted about 11 years befor the frame rotted. The engine and drivetrain were still okay.

I’m afraid your needs will be the reason for your next trade long before you use up the truck’s lifespan.

The “worthy of selling” question gets interesting. I recently saw a fella with an early '90s Toyota pickup (like my old one) in decent shape. I asked how much he wanted for it. He laughed and said he gets that question every now and then.

Toyota trucks and SUV’s hold their value exceptionally well, but it’s still true that your truck is going to be worth less in a year than it is now. If you don’t need it’s 4wd capability and you know you’re eventually going to need a different car, I’d say there’s no real reason to hold onto it.

It might also be a good idea to sell it now during the present low-gas price situation, since who knows how long that’s going to last.

It’s time to dump a vehicle when it no longer fills your needs, is unsafe or repair bills start to encroach on new car payments. My Toyota’s have given good service for 10 to 15 tears and serve the subsequent owners well also. If you have taken good car of your 4Runner, it’s mechanically a long way from demise.

You sound like you need to change for other reasons…go for it if your can afford it. You payed more new for it than other makes so you could reap the benefits come trade in time.

Does your mother sit easily into the truck now, or does she complain about how hard it is to get into and out of? If she’s not complaining, why change? Your truck will last for many, many years. Selling it doesn’t make economic sense. If you want another vehicle, then look into it.

I don’t know if you ever watch Australian TV or movies; the 4Runner is standard equipment in the Australian “Outback”. And they drive them hard. This vehicle displaced the Land Rover and the Jeep and later the Land Cruiser for rough use. Many last 500,000 miles or so. They are continously rebuildable, so to speak.

With good care, this vehicle will get you at least 300,000 reliable miles, as others have pointed out.

We get many posts about older people wanting a TALLER vehicle, since they are too stiff to bend down and get into a regular car. I have a friend who has a muscular disease, and his vehicle of choice is a Dodge minivan, since it’s just high enough to get into easily. He has great difficulty getting into my Toyota sedan. Better ask your mother whether she likes to get into a low car and try out a few first.

Good luck.

I don’t know if you ever watch Australian TV or movies; the 4Runner is standard equipment in the Australian “Outback”. And they drive them hard. This vehiclie displaced the Land Rover and the Jeep and later the Land Cruiser for rough use. Many last 500,000 miles or so. They are continously rebuildable, so to speak.

I use my 04 4Runner hard; that’s why I bought it in the first place, and wonder why OP even has one…the 2000s are nothing like the later models in ride comfort…mom deserves a new one or a nice Venza. Help the economy (American made ?) and make mom more comfy…it’s time to trade. She gave the best years of her life to OP…It’s pay back time