When Is An Alignment Needed? Asking Mechanics and those with similar skills

This is a little late to contribute to the original article, but alignments seem to be needed much more frequently when the car has been modified. Around here it seems like every third car in for an alignment or suspension inspection has been lifted, modified, air sprung, etc. (Probably because we have a reputation as the go-to place for alignments.)

Everything from Subaru Legacys to F350s come in with oversize/offset wheels, height adjustable coilovers, quick-disconnect sway bars, and all kinds of suspension “upgrades”. Besides the added stress these items put on the rest of the suspension, the aftermarket parts are rarely constructed as well and to as tight tolerances as OEM parts.

Sure those control arms you bought off Amazon were a third the price what I was going to sell you, but the bushings are so cheap and soft that your camber is going out of adjustment by .1 degree every month.

As for needing an alignment when you buy new tires, if there was no unusual wear on the old tires you should be OK. But when a set of tires easily runs $800, spending $99.95 for an alignment check and possibly finding some tie rods or bushings that are nearing the end of life seems wise. And if we set up the car and find all angles in spec (not just “in the green”) we only charge you $69.

Pre-determined Intervals seems good for PDI. Nope, wrong again!

Thank you. Am wondering as my wheels were recently rotated as part of a “check-up” at the dealership where I bought my car recently. They recommended an alignment, but not sure if it needed one as it drives well and I’m not too knowledgeable. ?

One main reason for my opinion is that the vast majority of motorists can be downright oblivious to a problem. I will provide prime exampe no. 1.

About 15 years ago my wife and I visited a couple in another state in the dead of winter. That evening we all piled in their new car (about 17k miles on it) to go out for dinner. Two feet of snow on the ground and temps were a balmy 9 degrees.

Backed out of the drive and rolled less than 40 feet before I said stop the car. What for they asked. Uno momento.
I hopped out and in the dark felt the tops of the 2 front tires. Both badly feather edged and causing vibration and a subtle growling sound.
My suggestion was check the alignment and rotate the tires to the rear to hopefully wear that feather edge off.

So guess who the bad guy was? Me. Mr. Negativity, do you have to pick someone’s new car to death, yada, yada, yada.
So neither the couple nor my wife noticed one thing wrong and all would have been oblivious months later if i had not mentioned it. I even asked them; did none of you note the vibration and growl? Nope; not a one.

Grapevine was that in the near future they did need an alignment and a set of new tires. (AWD)
And I guarantee you there are droves of motorists out there with pulling cars, oddly worn tires, vibrations, wandering, you name it and they have no clue there is a problem.

1 Like

Did they give you a printout with the alignment values? If they did, post it here.

Bang on correct! So many shops with alignment racks are operated by “techs” that turn the knobs but don’t really understand the meaning of the settings or how to fix the problems. The name of a shop with a knowledgeable alignment tech gets passed around the enthusiast community pretty quickly! … Go see asemaster, HE can fix your alignment after installing those $300 Ebay coilovers…

Yes… the $300 coilover set (of 4, with springs!) being a prime example… Maxspeedingrods… not making that name up, that is a real brand. They kind-of-fit and a sort-of-work! Not like the $2500 coil over kits but they are cheaper!

I agree completely… That’s why I made the comment about admitting if you hit curbs…
Drivers’ sensitivity is pretty linear between “I can feel it if I drive over a dollar coin” to “I can’t tell if I just pounded a 5 inch curb.” A GM study I audited showed that result. It isn’t a bell curve, it is linear. That is a LOT of drivers oblivious to severe problems.

I only seem to have a printout for the last time the car was checked before it went onto the lot (after a lease expired) back in Feb. Just says alignment “passed”. . The tire tread depth reads marginal,but was told my wheels are good for now when I had them rotated. ? I suppose I can call the local garage who I trust.

Yep, take it to a trusted garage that does alignments, have it checked, do it if needed.

1 Like