When do you use N (Neutral) in an automatic gear transmission?

Typically if I park on an incline, I’ll set the parking brake, then put it in neutral and see if it rolls any to test the brake before I put it in park.

@oblivion‌ If one had to pick out just one regular use of neutral that was most beneficial, this would be near the top of the list. A neighbor damaged is “newer” Tacoma truck when he left it running to warm up and for some reason, it rolled down a bank and into the woods, causing $10k plus worth of body damage. Simply putting into neutral, applying the brake, checking it then putting the shift level into park would have then allowed him to sue Toyota and probably win for damages caused to his Tacoma.

I too put the truck in neutral at R/R tracks or stuck in traffic.

I used to use it to cruise down a hill with the engine off trying to identify a bad wheel bearing or such. I found that a storage unit property is even better. I have a +100 yd paved lot and any noise echo’s off the buildings on both sides real nice.

Yosemite

If I am approaching a traffic signal that I know will take a minute or more until it turns green for me, I will stop, put the transmission in neutral, and shut off the engine until it’s time for me to go. Then I can start the car and shift into drive quickly without having to worry about the park-brake pedal interlock.

Oblivian, that’s actually an excellent idea and a good suggestion.