When did windshield washers come out?

My Grandmothers 41 Studebaker had washers, the bag on the fender said Trico so iy could have been aftermarket. Her 52 Plymouth had them, My 52 Plymouth did not.

1 Like

I think I remember a fomoco bag under the hood of our 57 ford but can’t swear to it. Like I said my first car with ‘em was the 68 dart and the floor button. I liked that because you could squirt out just the amount you wanted.

1 Like

The first car I drove that had “factory” windshield washers was my father’s '66 Ford Galaxie 500. That accessory was nice to have, but between the extremely limited capacity (1 qt) of the bag holding the WW fluid and the fact that the WW jets were not yet perfected, I was able to completely exhaust the capacity of the WW fluid supply in a couple of hours after a snowy day with a lot of road salt deployment.

By contrast, modern cars, with their WW fluid capacity of at least 1 gallon–coupled with much more accurate WW jets–typically allows one to drive for extended periods before needing to re-fill the WW fluid reservoir.

Even if I had that diagram, I still don’t think I’d been able to figure out the headlight on/off problem I was battling 
 lol 
 Just brings up more questions, like what’s is the purpose of that symbol at the right tip of the sideways “U”?

1 Like

Tire manufacturers should make the Max. Press. MAXIMUM PRESSURE and make it much larger and more obvious.
(It is difficult finding and reading it so that I can inflate to 3 psi below it.)

Because SMART people don’t use the MAX tire pressure to determine what pressure to use. The CORRECT tire pressure is on your inside door jam. Most vehicles correct tire pressure is well below MAX.

2 Likes

Yes. But 35 psi is too low for our vehicles. As Registered tree-huggers and Greenies, we wanto save fuel and pollution through lowerolling resistance.
It appears Lexus wants us to have a softeride athexpen$e of fuel mileage.

Do you use low rolling resistance tires? If not, you should.

In any event, adding 3 or maybe even 4 psi is not a bad idea, but if you go up to the maximum inflation pressure noted on the tire’s sidewall, you are going to shorten the tread life in the center section of the tread, and will have to buy new tires sooner than you would have if they were correctly inflated. Surely that is not something that a conservation-minded person should do.

Plus, if RG was anything he claims to be and do, he would be driving a RAV4 Hybrid. More than enough cargo capacity and speed.

1 Like

I have to look it up all the time. One car is 30 front and back. The other is 33 front and 34 back. I have a cheat sheet on the inside door of my cabinet with oil capacity, filter numbers, plugs, etc. just as a quick reference for all my equipment. Finally just added tire pressure. Old age is fun.

Says who? Sorry
but your WRONG. Really WRONG.

1 Like

How can 3 PSI below the maximum pressure be “correct” when the same tire can go on many different cars? This is a totally illogical belief.

1 Like

I think my 65 Chevelle had a small glass container for washer fluid. Can’t remember if it got hooked back up during restoration or not. It was about the size of a small bottle of Windex

Depending on tire size, you can inflate up to 44 psi. The instructions state not to exceed the maximum tire pressure listed on the tire. So yes, the vehicle owner should be aware of the maximum tire pressure. Wear rate will not increase with higher tire pressure.

2021 Lexus RX350;

Would love an AWD fuel efficient RAV4! (The choice of registered tree-huggers and Greenies!)
But wife decides the vehicle. When she gets another I get her previous vehicle.
Now back from a bloodelivery to Moab, Utah. Great gas mileageastbound due to strong westerly winds!

Better gas mileage witharder tires.
At end of tire life, center tread is only a millimeter or two less than outside tread.

DiscounTire people with whom I spoke know of no low rolling resistance tires.
I assumed highway treads would be lowerolling resistance.

Since we can have snow and ice almost to summer and before Fall, the typical M&S tires are probably best compromise.
Vehicle has the largestires which will fit: Michelin 255/55R20 110H

Never been there. There was a utube car restorer from Texas that moved to Moab. Every other word was the f bomb but he was very good at restoring cars. Never heard much from him since he moved. They maybe pulled his videos. Don’t remember his name.

I believe their existance is dangerous to motorcycles. Mcs no longer stand out as much as they should because of DRLs..

SLIGHTLY better gas mileage
with drastic reduction in traction and control. You may see 1mpg better gas mileage at the extreme risk of putting yourself and everyone else on the road in danger for this bonehead move.

The Truth About Over-Inflating Your Tires | MINI of San Antonio

What Happens if My Tires Are Overinflated? | Cars.com

The Dangers of Overinflating Your Tires - RNR Tire Express (rnrtires.com)

I Overinflated My Tires - Is My Safety at Risk? | Telle Tire

I Overinflated My Tires. Is That Bad? (firestonecompleteautocare.com)

How Does Over Inflation Affect Tire Wear? | HowStuffWorks

Honors Thesis Gresov.pdf (ufl.edu)

And as for increased gas mileage

Fact or Myth: Over-Inflating Your Tires Increases Gas Mileage - Blog (freewayinsurance.com)

Do Overinflated Tires Really Boost Gas Mileage? (usedcars.com)

Debunking a Mileage Myth: Can You Really “Pump Up” Your Fuel Economy? (popularmechanics.com)

You really should learn about cars and how to maintain them before you post your bullcrap knowledge again.

1 Like