Wheel bearing or tire noise?

Hello all,
I drive a 2010 Toyota Corolla.

So I got my two front wheel bearing replaced, by my father and I, a couple months ago, as well as my right tie rod. My rear tires were originally on the front when the bearings were going bad. I recently got two new tires because the ones that were on the front following the fix were terribly balled. So I had the new tires put on the rear and then the old tires (the ones that were on the front prior to replacing the wheel bearings) put on the front to preserve lateral stability, I also got an alignment. Following getting the two new tires, I have noticed a lot of noise when driving, it starts around 15-20 mph and just gets faster the higher my mph. Turning doesn’t really affect it, except it gets slightly quieter when turning to the right. The noise reminds me of a bad wheel bearing noise, slight whooping, but I can’t be positive plus they were just replaced. Is it my bearings going bad again or just tire noise? Any opinions would be appreciated, thanks all!

Ask the alignment people whether they checked the wheel bearings.

Did you actually torque the axle nuts to spec?

Or hand tighten them, or run them tight with an impact gun?

Tester

We used an impact gun. Hopefully that’s not bad haha.

While it may appear to be easier to use an impact wrench, it is not recommended. OEM and bearing manufacturers always recommend using a torque wrench for installation. During removal, an impact wrench can damage the axle nut threads and shock the CV joints. It can also create a false sense of security when adjusting a nut or bolt, which may be under- or over-torqued. This can leave a hub assembly susceptible to failure. Also, in almost all cases, you should use a new axle nut.

Tester

1 Like

Now those noisy tires are in the front again. I think you should have inspected the tires for a wear pattern causing the noise, you may not have needed new wheel bearings.

We did use a new axel nut and the cv axel was replaced a month before the bearings, also by us. Thanks for the info! I appreciate it.

The bearings were actually bad unfortunately, the sound continued after rotating the tires, and one had play in it and the other was purple from friction. I’m thinking it might be wear for the bearing going bad on the tires. Wishing I just would have gotten all 4 tires. I’m not keeping the car longer than a year

How many miles on this car? Wheel bearings should last at least 100k miles or more on these cars.Did you hit a curb or was the vehicule involved in an accident? I own a 2012 Corolla and road noise is a problem because Toyota cheaped out on insulation.Previous generation Corolla were quieter having owned a few of them.

If you used an impact gun to install the axle nut, that’s probably why the new bearings failed prematurely.

1 Like

There are 158,000 on the car now. The bearings were replaced around 154,000. I hit a pot hole on one side after the replacement and before the tire replacement, but there was no noise till a month later when I got the new tires