What's Wrong?

I just bought a 2006 Hyundai with 2800 miles on it. For 32 days the car started and ran well then on the 32nd day and again on the 34th day it refused to start. The engine turned over but the starter did not engage. Then on both occasions,later in the aternoon, it did start. I took the car into the dealer since it is still under warranty. Now after they have had the car for 5 days later, they are telling me, they can not find anything wrong with it and they want me to come pick it up. Logic tells me that if it didn’t start twice then at some point it will not start again and there must be something wrong.

What could possibly be wrong and what should I do about it?

Your dealer’s mechanic is not doing his job. Go to another dealer.

Don’t blame the mechanic. This is one of those intermittent problems that only show up once in a while. Likely the mechanic goes out once or twice a day, turns the key and it starts right up.

This is going to be frustrating for both you and your mechanic. Take the car back and keep driving it. Maybe the problem went away, maybe it is still there and will get worse. Make sure your dealer knows this problem was reported under warranty and was not resolved. If the situation gets worse to the point that they can find and fix it, you should still be covered.

What YOU need to do is to keep careful notes of when, where, and how, it doesn’t start. Does it crank each time? And at normal speed? Is the engine hot, cold, or warm? Weather conditions? Make sure these notes get to the mechanic. /// An engine which is TURNING OVER is an engine which is CRANKING. A starter ENGAGES in order to TURN the engine over. An engine which STARTS is an engine which begins to RUN, even if briefly.

I will add to the prior advice that you need to keep careful records of each visit to the dealer. (BTW a different dealer may be able to help if they happen to have someone who has seen the same problem and they remember what it was) Then when you are getting really frustrated check out your states lemon laws. In fact you should check the lemon law now to make sure you are collecting the proper documentation.

This link will give you the information //www.jdpower.com/cc/auto/bbb/lemon_law.jsp

“The engine turned over but the starter did not engage”

Since this statement is contradictory, it is possible that the people at the dealership did not understand what you were reporting to them. Of course, it is still incumbent upon them to do a thorough diagnostic check in order to see what might be malfunction.

If the engine “turned over”, that indicates that the starter did engage. Are you attempting to say that the engine turned over, but that it did not run under its own power? If so, that is an entirely different matter. Please post back with a better description of what is actually happening, and maybe one of us can guide you a bit better.

Just for chuckles, remove/clean thoroughly the battery cable connectors (on BOTH ends) and battery connections. Re-install wrench tight. I realise this is a one (2 now) year old vehicle so the battery cables should be in good condition,…but…

Providing the battery has a full charge, there should be 12V going to the starter, UNLESS there is a relay or voltage regulator/solenoid fault.

The starting system has to be tracked for continuity from the battery on. Clean ALL electrical connections and make certain they are tight. If they aren’t, you’ll always have problems. Don’t forget to include the ground connections. That includes the ground from the engine block to the chassis.

There may be a fault in the ignition system or even the key cylinder.
I don’t know how much quality goes into these vehicles.