What's the risk of buying high mileage 2012 Ford Focus?

Hi,

I got an offer for 2012 Ford Focus that has 172,000 miles on it for $4500. I’m told it is a previously leased car and is in great condition. What are the risks I should be aware of that are associated with this car at high mileage?

Thank you very much,

B

No one here can answer your question sight unseen.
Take the car to an independent mechanic for an inspection.

1 Like

If I am not wrong, this is the first model with the notoriously problematic dual clutch transmission. What makes me wonder, is the massive miles for a leased car. Generally, the Focus does depreciate very fast and it is not known for great reliability. I had a stick shift one, but had to get rid of it. Check the price on kbb.com and edmunds, have a mechanic look at it. If the transmission has not had atf change at the dealer, I will pass. The atf needed is specific and I would not trust a service done at a speedy lube place. Also, exrental focuses are a dime a dozen, so make a low ball offer.

Yeah, if it has the dual clutch transmission I’d walk (maybe run) away.

2 Likes

Reading your post makes me think you haven’t even seen this car yet. The best advice you can get is have it inspected. We can’t see it or drive it so how would we know what to tell you.

2 Likes

I am sure the owner had to purchase the car at the end of the lease, the over miles charge would have been far more than the residual on the lease.

You’re pretty much at retail with that car with those miles.

Nadaguides.com set the average trade as 2525. Retail about 5275; midpoint between the two is $3900. Trim line may affect these numbers. I used the lowest trim line “S”. Consumer Reports used car verdict is much worse than average, with transmission issues as much worse than average.

That’s enough info for me to run away and seek another vehicle.

Thank you all very much. This is helpful!

Thank you! This is helpful!