What's in a name?

Car names, of course.

I saw an article in USA Today about Toyota’s new names for the remaining Scion models:

Scion iM becomes Toyota Corolla iM

Scion iA becomes Toyota Yaris iA

Scion FR-S becomes Toyota 86

The last one is supposed to recall the AE86 Corolla, but the slang meaning of 86 in the USA is, essentially taking out the trash. I’m sure they didn’t mean it that way, but someone will notice and start the jokes about 86ing your driving experience. Oh, I just did that!

Maybe Maxwell Smart will drive the 86 in the next Get Smart movie. Agent 86 couldn’t find a better fit that the Toyota 86.

Anyone else want to have a little fun with this?

I hope Toyota’s plan does not 86 the car model that’s being renamed.

Okay, I’m confused now. :confused:

Maybe Maxwell Smart will drive the 86 in the next Get Smart movie. Agent 86 couldn't find a better fit that the Toyota 86

Speaking of "Get Smart," I've got some love for that Sunbeam he drives in the opening credits. Were you aware that in all the close-ups with Agent 99 (Barbara Feldon), the actor Don Adams stood on a box, as he was actually much shorter than agent 99 IRL? Also, "99" was NOT her original designation, but TV censors nixed any thought of "Agent 69!"

Yeah as if the current names and numbers weren’t confusing enough, might as well mix them up some more.

I hear that Robert Redford also often stood on a box, being quite short.

“I hear that Robert Redford also often stood on a box, being quite short.”

…as did Alan Ladd!
(I realize that the younger forum members probably have no idea who Alan Ladd was…)

I met Merle Haggard before a concert back in the late 60’s. I was shocked at how small he was.

I hear that Robert Redford also often stood on a box, being quite short.

So was Sly Stallone - maybe 5’9". Carl Weathers (Apollo Creed) - was 6’2".

Arnold Schwarzenegger is actually only about 5’10".

Yes @MikeinNH, but he’s also about 5’10" around his chest.

I thought 5’ 10" was tall.

I met Janis Joplin after a concert at a kegger, she is listed on the easterweb fun term whoever mentioned it, as 5’5" or 5’6", just remember seeing an iconic singer, larger than life on stage, and surprised at how petite she was.

I thought 5' 10" was tall.

Average…

I would have gained a half a foot if my German genes would have beat out my Japanese genes. Lol. That’s a smiley. Don’t take me too seriously. I can’t remember how to do the icons or whatever they’re called.

I would have gained a half a foot if my German genes would have beat out my Japanese genes.

I have mainly German and Irish genes…so tall on both sides.

Believe it or not, many years ago I had the distinct and strange experience of having Mike Tyson enter the hotel men’s room I was in and stand (protected by two massive bodyguards) at the urinal next to mine. He was at the same hotel in Boston that I was in, me attending an applied physic seminar and he attending an awards ceremony. I was surprised at how small he was. Of course, I suppose standing between two human buildings would make anybody look smaller.

^ When I first read your post, I thought you stated that Tyson was attending an applied physics seminar, along with you, and my first thought was...Tyson has obviously been concealing his academic ability for a long time!

;-))

A quick re-read brought me back to reality regarding Tyson…

country singer Mark Chestnut is a small guy too, belied by looking UP at him on stage.
Many big names would stop here on an in-between booking basis 'tween Phoenix and Albuquerque gigs.
Mark Chestnut was the rare exception that actually made the TIME to sit and chat with us, the local warm-up band.