What's a "exchange program"?

Tom, Ray, and to all 7 listeners of the program among which I’m one,

I recently received a notice for a “motor vehicle exchange program” from my Nissan dealer. I drive a 2009 Nissan Rogue. Something tells me there’s more going on here than just “out of the kindness of the dealer’s heart” that they are requesting pre-owned 2009 Rogues in exchange for new 2010 / 2011 or other preowned vehicles.

I know there have been a few recalls on the Rogue but it didn’t seem all that major. My question is, is this a regular occurrence? Do dealers actually buy vehicles back in exchange for another routinely for the stated, or not stated purpose?

Thanks guys!

It’s otherwise known as “Come trade your car in! We’ll give you almost nothing for it while charging you out the wazoo for the new one!”

Haha, gotcha … cheers

It’s nothing more than an enticement to get you to trade in your 2009 for a new model.

There is nothing “official” about it, and it’s not from Nissan. Your dealer just wants more of your money.

They think if they can get you into the showroom they can talk you into a sale.

If you’re happy with your car and don’t feel the need for a new one, ignore this “notice.”

Once or twice a year my wife receives an offer from the Toyota dealer offering full retail value for her 06 Sienna as a trade in on a new Toyota. If one reads the really fine print in the letter there is a deductible for mileage and condition from the trade. In other words, another gimmick to get one to the dealership.

Shadowfax summed it up nicely.

Ed B.

Thanks everyone, for the replies. I was more concerned that it had to do with an inherent safety issue that they’re trying to get this model year back. Knowing it’s more of a gimmick to get folks to trade in for a higher valued car helps!

Safety issues are handled by recalls issued by the manufacturer. You’d get a letter instructing you to take the car to the dealership for repair, not replacement.

A good clue is that if your car isn’t being splashed all over the 6 o’clock news for having killed hundreds of people, it’s not being “exchanged” for a safety issue.

Dealerships will do almost anything to get you into their showroom. A local dealership near here used to send out keys with their advertising flyers. If it started a certain vehicle it was yours to keep. The problem was that they sent these flyers out for years and nobody started the car. The ruse was discovered and now the great big shiny showroom is sitting at the edge of town with the doors padlocked.

I loved the ripoff dealer promotion in Caribou Me. who advertised $1,000 off the price of a new car if you bring in a collectible coin. He mentioned which coin he wanted that day and I hope nobody fell for it. It’s a good way to improve a coin collection without paying for the coins.

It’s a sales gimmick used to accomplish what all dealers really want, your body on the lot.

Dealers are also known to send out notices with RECALL stamped on the envelope. People often think there’s something wrong with their car and either call or visit the dealer where they find out that generic blathering in the letter is just a means of contacting them about trading in their car. With car sales it’s all about traffic, as in human traffic.

There is absolutely no end to the BS involved in coaxing people onto the lots.

Why did you ask this same question twice?

From the “automotive myths” files. I heard (did not read,did not know of,only heard the story over beers on Friday) of a Dealer that advertised his price for a certain car to be “1000 clams”. Well the story goes someone showed up with 1000 clams and a judge forced the Dealer to accept payment.