Whatever happened to body filler?

How about this? Visit your local auto recycler, pick and pull, etc, and see if they have a compatible door. they’ll have a list of what model years match up door-wise. Then just deliver the door to the body shop and ask them to paint and install it. If you want the shop to just use the bondo method, ask around at various shops. There’s almost certainly going to be one that will do it for you, provided the damage is actually bondo-repairable. Not every type of body damage can be reliably repaired w/bondo. If it is bondo-compatible, the bondo method is pretty diy’er friendly, if you want to take that job on yourself. Then just have a body shop paint it, presto, done, for less $$. Me, I’d prefer another door, but if it came from a wrecked car, as long as the door was ok, that would be ok w/me. The door-skin method seems pretty attractive as a less costly option too, but probably not very diy’er friendly.

It may be difficult to find a used door for a 2018 vehicle and finding one in a self service salvage yard, “Pick and pull” is not a possibility. A body shop is going to consider the availability of used parts when making an estimate and the number of days the customer is in a rental car while waiting for parts.

Did you consider PDR or paintless dent repair? This technique cost a fraction vs traditional bodywork.If the paint wasn’t damaged,I would give it a try. These guys are magicians believe me.

Wait till the OP has this repaired and it shows up on a carfax. He will be screaming about the 20% hit on trade in value. My neighbor does PDR for high line dealers. If the piant is ok, that might be the way to go.

I don’t know if it will show up on Carfax without an insurance claim.

If a dealership does the repair then it will probably show up in Carfax. Dealerships that use Carfax have a contract with them that says they MUST report all repairs and services to Carfax.

Most independent body shops don’t have any agreement with Carfax so it should never be reported. However be careful there. Many dealerships around here farm out their bodywork to independents. Not sure how that works if the independent does work that’s not through a dealer.

Years ago, the Japanese started using a lightweight steel for car bodies. However, you could dent it with your thumb, and it was a bondo man’s headache. You could try it, but there is no guarantee that it will work.

1 Like

Sometimes a used door from a wreck can be had at reasonable cost, then it’s just replacement labor and paint. Might be harder to find for a 2018 car if it’s a new design year.

“Do they see a new 2018 vehicleand expect people to be idiots with money?”

When you told him you had no collision coverage he was sure of it.

6 Likes

Oldtimer provided my chuckle for the day…