What would your ideal car include

And a modified garage door as the air brake :wink:

What would my ideal car include? I’m going to have to quote Randy Newman on this one:

Big ol’ nasty redhead at my side.

Foot room would be nice. Flatten those floors.

a Finnish driving instructor.

Dadocta and bscar, I’ll combine your ideas
Danika Patrick on the passenger seat.

(Sincere respects to Ms Patrick).

How about a Car with built Sonar or something like that. Sounds Crazy but it would be nice if you’re driving down the road and your vehicle sends out a soundwave and it bounces off an object and sends a signal back to your car’s sensor and tells you what the object is. That way you have time to react say like if a deer is on the side of the road. You’ll have advance warning and know to slow down so you can avoid hitting bambi. Or rather than sonar like, it could be like what bats use to locate their prey
Ecolocation.

That’s actually a good addition to my list, katydid. Such systems are becoming commonnly available, as evidence in the Mercedes S class applying the brakes when the vehicle is too rapidly approaching and object, and in the new sutomatic parallel parking systems and the “backup object detection” systems.

Night vision systems are also becoming quite advanced now, and perhaps the bullet cameras I listed to replace rearview mirrors could be supplimented with night vision bullet cameras. Imagine having a clear panoramic view of everything to the sides and behind you at night.

And the list builds.

This is rapidly becoming the Batmobile. :wink:

The Batmobile had some good features. Ugly as sin, however.

WHICH Batmobile???

They all had some cool features (for their respective eras)
and were all ugly as sin!

My ideal car would not have a backseat, it would have real buckets for seats, no excuses for stopping now, a canon on front and a brake pedal on the passenger side.

“Everyday use” car: Would be an aerodynamic compact/midsize (think Corolla plus a bit), with the following departures from current design:

1. Body style would be station wagon.
  2. Engine would be small, a fuel-efficient diesel.
    2.5) Stick shift.
  3. Would be RWD, with a solid rear axle.
  4. For long-term durability, NOTHING would be electric that could be manually operated. (I’d even be open to a pneumatic starter
with a PTO-type system for running air tools to work on it!)
  5. Car would either be body-on-frame, or have a reinforced rear unibody to facilitate much larger towing capacities than one would usually associate with such a small car.
  6. Due to increased towing, car would have larger brakes and spring rates to accommodate this.

“Lifestyle/fun” car:

Cadillac hearse, with the following modifications:

1. The biggest 2-stroke Detroit Diesel that’ll fit under the hood, exhausting thru tractor stacks.
  2. “Ratrod” styling scheme, with the “Tiger Mouth” on the front grille (as seen on the P-40 “flying tigers” in WWII).
  3. The back would be outfitted with a waterbed.

No Brake Pedals on the passenger side! Especially is you have someone like my mom in the car with you! She is the worst backseat driver ever! I’m suprised she hasn’t ripped the “oh crap” handle above the winow on the passenger side of my car off yet! But if one insists on having a brake pedal on the passenger side (this would be ideal when you’re teaching a teenager how to drive), make sure there’s a button or feature on the drivers side that would shut the passenger brake off so the other other person couldn’t use it if you don’t want them to. Kind of like the function on cars which turns off the passenger side airbags.