What would be the easiest place to wire a positive and negative for a gauage

I’m wondering where the easiest spots are to wire a ground and power for a wideband gauge in a 8th gen Honda Civic

If the car has a fuse box underhood, and most do, use this to tap into any existing circuit that carries a higher current than you need for the wideband. This gives you the ability to fuse the wideband sensor and gauge. Then use any existing underhood ground. There are several. Just look for black wires screwed to the body.

1 Like

What is that?

Apparently a wideband gauge ( is that different from a gauage ) mesures air fuel ratio . Not sure why you would need one on a 8th generation Honda Civic whatever that year is .

Why can’t people just say what year the vehicle is ?

Just too easy to include year.

You want the gauge inside the cabin, right? So tapping into a fuse box inside the cabin is the way to go. There are also good grounds under the dashboard; the brake pedal mounting nuts, for example.

Wires need to enter the cabin from the engine compartment anyway, so why not hook to an underhood power and ground while standing upright instead of standing on your head under the dash?

A wideband O2 sensor reads actual air-fuel ratio across a wide range. They sell gauge kits with them for those that want to monitor a/f ratio. Cheaper O2 sensors are more like rich-lean switches. Many cars now use widebands as standard as the upstream sensors and narrow bands downstream of the cats. My Mustang does this.

1 Like

It would be pretty interesting to watch how the a/f ratio changes during driving. & if you notice suddenly it isn’t behaving like it always had during you daily trip to the coffee shop, that’d be an important clue to an engine problem developing. Seems a good idea to add such a gauge, if there’s dash space available.

Just where on the engine does the signal for this gauge come from? Can the data be accessed from, say, an input to the engine control computer?

It hooks up to the exhaust system and detects how much fuel / air is coming out. If to much gas is going in it can cause excess wear and if to much air is coming in (lean) it can cause engine damage as it isn’t combusting right

Edit: there’s also wires to connect to your ECU I believe, so it can save all the fuel data for the tuner to look at or for yourself. But I’m just adding it to monitor my engine health and make sure if I’m boosting I’m not over or under doing it

1 Like

I’m noticing drop in fuel mileage, the car hasn’t been tuned since I added the after market turbo kit 2 years ago. So I just wanna start monitoring it all, should of had the wideband installed the second I added big fuel pumps and the turbo.

Just wanna make sure the car is running happy and healthy.

Why do you need to know the model year to install an air/fuel sensor and meter? Any Honda Civic is going to have a 12 volt negative ground system.

VOLVO-V70s response and mine was in reference to using generation rather than year in describing a vehicle.