What to get for my next vehicle?

Here’s a quick summery on my current situation. I currently have a 2010 Prius with 290,000 miles on it and the experience has been great. Our other car that my wife drives is a Toyota Sienna. My commute to and from work is 100 miles each way, with about 7 years left until retirement. I’d like to get a fun vehicle for once, and one that can tow or easily cary recreational equipment such as a few kayaks or a bunch of firewood.

“Fun vehicle” and “tow vehicle” and “good 100 mile commute vehicle” doesn’t leave a lot of overlap. What’s your budget? What kind of mpgs do you want?

3 Likes

What I consider fun, may not be what you consider fun. Any vehicle that can carry a kayak, for me, is not fun but is useful.

I’d suggest you spend some time on the internet on a site that sells used cars looking around for a car that is fun to you that fills your wants and needs. Go test drive one at one of the big used sellers. They won’t get picky about you test driving lots of cars. Once you find the fun one, take a look at the dealer that sells a new one or consider the used one.

Would a Rav4 Hybrid fit your needs/budget?

1 Like

I was about to mention this…my parents love their Rav4 Hybrid, and it checks off most of @bryan1809’s list other than fun, which is going to be in the eye of the beholder.

1 Like

To tow (up to a limit - see owners manual), carry kayaks or firewood - why not use the Sienna?

True, but coming from a Prius, a Rav4 could still qualify :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

quite true!!
:rofl:

1 Like

I’d say you’re describing a Mazda CX-5 with the turbo engine or an Acura RDX or MDX.

2 Likes

Many people fall into the trap of trying to find a vehicle that gets good fuel economy, but can “occasionally” tow stuff or carry a heavy load. It’s a unicorn; you have to choose one or the other.

In your situation. I’d get a full sized pickup truck. A friend has a Toyota Tundra that I like a lot. You results may vary.

1 Like

This person needs 2 more vehicles if they have room. A small new fuel efficient one for the 200 hundred mile a day commute and a decent used pickup for the Kayaks .

1 Like

Most any vehicle can carry a couple of kayaks on the roof. For firewood, rent a pickup from Lowes or Uhaul.

Until we hear back from @bryan1809 we’re just guessing.

1 Like

I think the towing capacity on our Rav4 is 1500 lbs.

A cord of firewood can weigh anywhere from 2000 to 6000 lbs, so they’d better be carful in how much they tow.

But a bag of firewood for a beach bonfire weighs about 40 pounds, easily hauled in my Mustang.

But back to the OP, he might consider a Maverick or Santa Cruz. By then kayak racks should be available.

I was in a situation similar to yours in 2017. My commute at the time was 58 miles one way. I thought about buying a sports car that I’d always wanted, but decided to get a sedan with a 4-cyl instead due to the long commute. I didn’t want to put 25,000 miles per year on an expensive car that I want to keep for a long time. I can buy the sports car in a couple of years when I retire.

Your commute is twice as long as mine. If you keep this fun car for the remainder of your working years, it will have 350,000 miles or so on it. Maybe be you could plug in another Prius in between and make the fun car your next buy, much closer to retirement. It’s your choice and your metrics, of course.

1 Like

I agree with the two vehicle suggestion. A Corolla or a Corolla Hybrid just for a change up from the Prius for the commute, or even a Camry to be more comfortable. Then maybe a gently used Truck for the fun activities. If you want a something more fun than the Toyota sedans, then look into Mazda 3 & 6.

I want you to buy the long jeep that looks like a four door pickup. After so many miles in a Prius, you have earned the right.

The Rav4 hybrid is rated for more at 1750lbs, Yours is rated for 1500lbs

1 Like

If you only want one vehicle, I would also recommend looking at the Maverick when it comes out. Seems like a pretty fun and practical little truck, and the fuel economy is surprisingly good.

2 Likes