What to get for my next vehicle?

+1 to that Ford Maverick and the Hyundai Santa Cruz, too.

Maverick yes, but I bet they’ll be hard to find for quite a while.

Depends on how many Maverick’s Ford plans to build this year, orders are being taken now for a projected August 16th start for production, although these days that’s really just an estimate from Ford. Scheduling starts next month.

Where is the Ford Maverick going to be assembled?

Are the engine and hybrid system and transmission already in use elsewhere?

The Maverick is based on the Escape platform and it’s the same hybrid powertrain. Built at the Ford Hermosillo Assembly Plant

1 Like

hybrids are problematic for independent shops. You’ll probably need dealer expertise for the duration of ownership.

Depends on the shop, the one we’ve used since about 1993 works on Hybrids without any problems, Mostly Toyota’s but the occasional Honda or Ford as well. Having tossed them some challenges with a 80’s Grand Voyager that may or may not have been demonically possessed the few things they’ve had to deal with on the 2010 Prius are a walk in the park. Although so far they mostly just change the oil and tell Mom to come back in 6,000mi.

Thanks for all those that have replied with their input. I probably should have shared earlier that my 100 mile commute is only 1 out of every 4 days. Another thing that I probably should have shared is that winter driving becomes a factor. I live in Virginia and it does snow here at times. Because of my job, I am expected to report for duty regardless of conditions. I have made it up numerous times with my current car through some storms, but having one with better ground clearance/AWD would make life less stressful. I have amazed many coworkers when I have showed up in some of those hazardous conditions though. When it comes to driving in the snow, I think how you drive is the most important. I lose count every time on how many spun out SUVS/Trucks I see stranded on 95. How that has never had happened to me, I have had to dig myself out a few times with a military shovel due to ground clearance. I know there isn’t one ideal answer to my question but I do value opinions from others, especially when it comes to cars. I have thought about the two car option and thats a definitely a possibility. Ideally, the Gladiator would be perfect. However with the high cost and MPG, just can’t do it.

In that case, I suggest that you use winter tires if you’re not already doing that.

1 Like