What to do with my Prius after extensive repair work

I ran over a tire in my 2001 Toyota Prius, rim and all, and it’s been in the dealer’s repair shop for almost a month. Every week something new seems to be found in need of repair. So far they have done the following work:

Replaced radiator housing, oil pan, air filter system, inductor, auxillary battery, front bumper
Repaired and realigned front axle
Repaired front tires

My wife doesn’t want the car back because she’s afraid to drive it. The repair shop and insurance appraiser said the car is now practically brand new under the hood and will run just fine. It has 146K miles and I think we should take possession and then sell it immediately or just keep driving it.

We have agreed to see what the forum here thinks and go from there. So, is the car really going to be okay to drive or should we just sell it immediately? Any help would be appreciated!

The answer depends on how you use the car. If this is your primary transportation and you use the car over the highway, it may be time to replace it. I don’t know if the main battery has been replaced or not, but this is a consideration. If the car is only used around town, then it may be o.k. to continue to drive it.

The big factor, however, is your wife’s confidence in the car. If she is the primary driver and has lost confidence in the car, then I think you should sell it.

My wife is the primary driver and uses it for business as a real estate agent. She mainly drives around town but does drive the highway almost daily. The main battery was replaced 3 years ago and has been regularly serviced following the maintenance guide.

In this case, it may make sense to drive the car for a while after you get it back and see how it works out. If she doesn’t trust it after using it for a while, then move on to another car.
Do check the oil regularly. My son hit a tool of some kind that the highway department left in the road in the 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass that he owned at the time. Both the oil pan on the engine and the oil pan on the transmission were punctured. After the repair, the oil consumption increased. I don’t know if this was due to hitting the tool or not.

From what you wrote, you ran over a wheel, not a tire, no? How did they repair your front tires? How did the front bumper get damaged? What’s the cost on these repairs? So many questions.

Repair Shop ? It Sounds Like This Car Is At An Auto Body/Collision Shop And It Sounds Like They May Not Be Competent Mechanics. The Car Should Have Had Body Work Done There And Mechanical Repairs Sublet To A Mechanical Repair/Service Shop.

The best situation usually, when both body work and mechanical damage are invloved, is to take the car to a reputable Toyota dealer that has both facilities on premises. Usually, they know their own models better, have better/quicker access to parts, and Toyota trained technicians.

Have you expressed concerns to your insurance agent concerning the delays and doubts about repairs ? If the insuance company won’t pay to have the car checked over by a “second opinion” shop (Toyota dealer repair/service) when it’s “done” then maybe you should consider paying to have it looked at and pronounced safe and roadworthy.

CSA

@littlemouse, Regarding “From what you wrote, you ran over a wheel, not a tire, no?” "I ran over a tire in my 2001 Toyota Prius, rim and all, . . . " Means That The Prius Hit A Tire Mounted On A Rim.
CSA

So if the car is repaired, what’s the dilemma? Do you suspect the repair work is substandard? Or was she driving when the accident occurred, so now she’s kind of shell shocked and afraid to drive it?

@CSA: “it’s been in the dealer’s repair shop for almost a month.”

Oh, wait, you mean it sounds like the dealer contracts out their repair work. Nevermind. They do that? Harumph.

I get the part about the rim, just doesn’t seem like the tire is the important part of the equation.

There are three questions:

• First is the damage and repair. Can the car be repaired properly at a reasonable cost. My guess is yes, it can and it can be done.

• Second is do you have the right people doing the work. I am not at all sure you have the right people doing the work. Read the comments others have made above.

• Third Once the car is properly repaired, you and your wife have a decision to make. Do you want to keep the car or sell the car.

Selling the car and buying a different used car, is not likely to get you anywhere. A properly repaired car is a far better choice than buying a used car that may have had like damage, but not disclosed. Buying a new car will likely cost you more, but you will have a new car and it sounds like with the use of the car it may be a good business decision. However that is not a car question.

Good Luck

If she is not comfortable then move on.

I am really surprised they did not total out a 2001 Prius with 146k. Those parts are likely recycled.