What to Do With an Unwanted 15" Tire and Rim?

Throw it in the creek or a ravine, If you live in My part of Indiana thats what the local yokels do.

@WheresRick–remove tire from rim. Tie one end of rope around tire and other end to tree branch for a swing for children or grandchildren. Keep rim outdoors–someplace in plain sight since you might need it someday. That is what we do in my part of Indiana.

I assume that Rick is not a volunteer with the Indiana tourism Board. I lived near the Motor Speedway, my Aunt near the Sabaru plant and we had family reunions on a hill top near Bloomington and all places were just fine. All areas have places that are not what they should be.

My problem is disposing of old electronics. I can't throw old computers, monitors, or anything else in the recycle bin. The nearest place I can take them is 20 miles away and I have to pay to dispose of them. Why!
Ugh.

Until about a year ago, we could throw out TVs and computer monitors in our trash. Then, they passed a law that made it ILLEGAL for people to put them in the trash, and for trash companies to take them (unless the boro pays the haulers extra for hazmat disposal.) Theoretically, you’re supposed to pay to recycle it, and you get a voucher for a new TV equal to the disposal fee.

What actually has happened is discarded carcasses of TVs litter the streets! The geniuses who came up with this scheme didn’t stop an think: “not everybody can afford to buy new!” So, people put them out, they don’t get picked up. While “too toxic” for the dump, apparently it’s OK for kids to play around 'em…'cause that’s what happens. I looked into the situation and I can’t even clean up this mess as a “Good Samaritan”: I’d be breaking the law if I tried to.

If they had a brain, they’d pay a $2 or so bounty for them, dropped off. The local scrappers would have the streets picked clean in a week;-)

Agree totally,add the bounty to the price of new TVs because stupid laws have created this mess anyway(by rendering perfectly good TVs obsolete and relatively speaking new TVs are cheap)-Kevin

Ok, I can now report results. My neighbor was throwing a lot of household stuff away, and last weekend held a garage sale. I asked if I could put my tire with her stuff, and if it sold she could have the money. She agreed. It didn’t sell, but at the end of the day she put all the remaining stuff in the street, along with the tire, with a big FREE sign on it. Somebody took the tire.

Meanjoe, you have described a serious developing problem. New statutes make discarding old electronics, appliances, and old wheels and tires expensive at best (our dump requires a $20 payment at Town Hall for electronics) and almost impossible at worst. I fear people will eventually begin to dump these items in the woods again, like was commonly done decades ago. That would be absolutely awful, but there seems to be no solution.

Another fine mess the regulators have gotten us into…

OK passed a statute several decades ago requiring a tire disposal fee on every new or used tire sale along with mandating a disposal fee on every vehicle from out of state that is registered here.
This fee is allegedly used to assure a clean disposal of old tires,

What has been known to happen is that the disposal crew or company will pick up the tires and then dump them. About 10 miles from me there is a canyon where I used to go target shooting and someone dumped about 300 tires in the ditch alongside the road.
In another case (and my memory is a bit fuzzy) a grass fire in OK developed and snowballed into very heavy black smoke. It was discovered that the fire had gotten into roughly 100,000 old tires that had been dumped along a creek.

We do well at buying new stuff but we are not so good at getting rid of our old stuff…Some of it, like tires and TV sets, CRT monitors, these things pose a real problem…The recycling “movement” of a few years ago has faded as no market can be found for the recycled materials. Where “co-mingled” stuff was allowed, recycling that stuff was impossible and they just took it to the dump with the rest of the trash…

Our local trash company won’t pick up bigger items in regular trash, but they used to have special days when they would haul away bulky items. Now they let you make a couple of calls per year to haul away big items. It’s a necessity in a city where lots of people don’t have cars or trucks to haul things to a dump. Tires may be an exception as there are special waste streams for them. A tire store is probably your best bet.

Best Buy’s recycling program accepts most electronics for free. That’s how we got rid of our last two tube TV sets.

See
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/global-promotions/recycle-faqs/pcmcat174700050009.c?id=pcmcat174700050009
or:
http://www.bestbuy.com/recycle

co mingling is used here too, the stuff is sent down a very hi tech conveyer system, I believe, where its make up is analyzed and is separated using blasts of air and other methods