What to do with a very unique old car?

I know I am nuts, but I have a 1981 Honda Prelude that I have an extreme attachment to! It has 152,000 miles on it, still runs, although I don’t drive it very often. It looks fantastic and has been garaged it’s entire life. Now, because of it’s age, parts are not available. I have decided it is time to let my beloved go, but it would break my heart to see it go to a junk yard. Suggestions what I should do?

There is a market for virtually anything, and when it comes to cars there is likely to be a foreign car aficianado who would love to add this to his collection, whether parts are available or not. If you advertise it in the right place, you just may be able to sell it to someone who would cherish this car and preserve it.

While I don’t usually think of their publications in regard to foreign cars, it is possible that Hemmings has a specialized publication for foreign car collectors. Check their website to see which publications might be appropriate for advertising your old Prelude.

I understand your problem. I have a 1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass Salon with the 4-4-2 package. I don’t want to junk the car, but I do have a rust problem. However, I have had no trouble getting parts. This includes a blower motor, alternator, fuel pump and tires. My guess is that many of the parts will interchange with other Honda models just as parts on my car interchange with other GM cars.

You might be able to find a buyer for your car–I don’t know the book prices, but it should be worth at least $1000. If you like driving the car, take it out and enjoy it. If you can’t get a part in your locality, go on line and see what you can find. I’ll bet you can find wrecking yards that may specialize in old Asian car parts.

A friend of mine has a 1990 Honda Civic. It was hit and the insurance company wanted to call it a total. She took a $1500 settlement, bought the car back for $200 and had it fixed. IMHO your Prelude was a nice car. I’m certain you can sell it if you really want to let it go.

Sell it on ebay or Craigslist. Please don’t crush it!!

What parts are not available anymore? Just about anything required to keep it running should be readily available in the aftermarket.

Never fall in love with something that can’t love you back…1981 model cars were the worst ones ever built, smog nightmares, feedback carburetors, Micky-mouse engine control systems…Honda’s were out in left field someplace, take what you can get and kiss her good-by…The only thing “unique” about it is that it still runs…

I had an '81 Accord http://mysite.verizon.net/tbrown59/jpg/81accor.jpg eventually put a bunch of aftermarket stuff in it:
Non CVCC head, Weber carb, cam, lightened flywheel, exhaust header, 2" exhaust, gas shocks, sway bars etc.
Trans bearings became the weak link.

What parts do you need? Try http://www.thehondapartsstore.com/

ebay.com and it will find a new home.

Parts ARE still available for this car. Try www.rockauto.com, Autozone, Pep Boys, O’Reilly’s, etc…

If you wish to sell, drop me a line. I had one of these years ago, and would love to own another.

You might want to try this site - http://thisoldhonda.org/ads_detail.php?ID=1104

But 3 grand ??? Really ?

I could see that price if it’s been meticulously maintained and restored, inside and out.