What to do with a flooded clasic

Or, dip the car in a pool full of chlorine water.

In water, chlorine is a strong acid, corrosive, and an oxidizer. In water, it forms hydrochloric acid (HCl) and hypochlorous acid (ClHO). Chlorine attacks plastic, rubber, coatings, and many metals in the presence of water.

Tester

2 Likes

Related topic - what about the flooded EVs in Florida? Corrosion in the battery system could easily cause a fire, one very difficult to control. There must be a number of them sitting around Florida right now.

edit- I just googled it, and yes, it’s a problem.

My neighbors model y tesla was left in the garage . When he evaced to Miami he didnt think he would have access to chargers
Dont know how it fared so far.
Other neighbor got a good number for his grand cherokee

If that battery got wet it is a fire bomb waiting to go off. It should not be in a garage or anywhere near combustibles imho. Nothing to fool with.

they just had it on the news, 12 EV’s caught fire already in Florida from saltwater damage.
Glad to see Mustangman has been on here. I was worried about him. hope your family and home made it through ok. I just got my power on a little while ago. internet is very spotty. I feel very lucky. so many who lost so much.

1 Like

Glad you’re okay W-W.

1 Like

Well we were a little concerned about you too. So glad you made it ok. Long road back. I was watching a video from Acadia where the river was the issue. Unbelievable.

Otoh it sounds like the Edison ford museum in ft m came through with little damage.

1 Like

There’s a current product for storing cars similar to that, only it works more like a car-sized air filled tent. You know, like those big tents folks put up in their front yard for a kid’s birthday. Electric-powered blowers keep the tent filled with air so it won’t collapse. I’m guess it is not a good method for flood applications though. But if you wanted to store your classic car inside a dirt-floor barn, should work pretty good.

Until the power goes out and the high winds rip it apart.

Well, there are some negatives 
lol 

It has already been on Shark Tank. It only works up to 2 to 3 feet though. Higher than that and I believe a vehicle would begin to float. Here it is: https://evpcovers.com/

To wash a car in fresh water, just get an above ground pool and push the car on to it, and then assemble the walls.

Here’s the rest of the quote. I mentioned anchoring it. Let it float, but don’t let it float away.

I was wondering if 5 or 6 foot high ramps might be an option. I know some places had over 10 feet.

For homes built on stilts, this ramp could run around the back of the house and double as a deck until a storm approaches. You’d want to move the patio furniture inside anyway.

Interior is completely covered in mold.
Exterior looks fine. The Hartford sent a guy from Arizona to appraise. Said hr would take into consideration the mods
Borla Catback exhaust, Bullit wheels, eihbach springs bilstein shocks and struts, b&m shift k&n cold air etc.

Yes, it doesn’t take long for mold to set in, and aside from all the mechanical and electronic issues, you can see the extent to which the car is damaged beyond repair.

Good luck with the insurance offer.

Rainmanray ray had a neat car in his shop v8 something or other. Started going through the flood damage and just the seat controls alone were $2000 and maybe a month for parts. He said he thought insurance was just going to total it. Just too much to deal with and it looked fine.

I don’t know about the car insurance end but home insurance has been a real issue. Policies were being cancelled left and right or rates so high no one could afford them. The state had a fund but I think many folks were either underinsured or uninsured. In Minnesota I got my policy and new rates for next year with a slight increase. We will have to see what happens next year. Insurance companies don’t insure at a loss for very long.

In Florida, a friend lives on a canal. the canal has a water lock, so the water did not rise that much. he had his boat in his back yard strapped down to his boat lift. the wind was so strong that it snapped the tie downs, and the boat was found down the canal on land. the boat did not look like it had much damage, just the windshield. the insurance company (the little lizard) said they were totaling all boats no matter if they could be repaired or not. I am guessing they will be doing that for most cars too.