What to do with a flooded clasic

I understand it too. But it’s better if you don’t get attached.

This is the worst part when it comes to minimizing damage. Salt water submersion needs immediate attention. Corrosion sets in very quickly. Even if you get to it quickly, it requires a lot of labor to disassemble and flush everything. If it sits, then there will be more work in replacing/restoring parts that have corroded. Only you can decide if it’s worth it. I have salvaged outboards that have been submerged in salt water. One I got to immediately, I hosed down thoroughly and got running quickly was no worse for the experience. Another that sat for a few days needed to be torn down but was salvaged.

2 Likes

As long as ownership stays the same (no reason why it shouldn’t), it will stay titled as it is now, not a salvage title.

Corrosion sets in within HOURS. Salt water is extremely destructive on cars. The biggest problem is the places you can’t see or easily get to (like electronics). Problems may not show up now, but months down the line.

2 Likes

A bilge pump and a couple of batteries inside the car might have saved the interior. Sealing off the air intake and exhaust with some heavy plastic, silicone and 2 rubber bands would have kept the engine dry.

You really have no idea how forceful that storm surge was do you ?

3 Likes

Too bad he wasn’t on the Titanic - it would be sailing today!

5 Likes

To pump the water where? The surge in some areas was 10 feet.

This and the specialty insurance comment are clearly locking the barn after the cows are gone…and slaughtered…and BBQed!

2 Likes

How about finding a wrecked late model and moving the required components to my 95. A coyote would spice it up

You have to remember,salt water sat in areas of the body that are boxed in and can’t be reached.

So in a year or so, you’ll start to see this.

Tester

1 Like

Sure, that would work, for about $75,000… But then a year later would look like the picture @Tester posted.

2 Likes

Okay i give up off to the junkyard
I have an unsellable car in an unsellable property…Any more good news

If you know someone with a swimming pool full of fresh water and is willing to let you push your car into it, you could save it, but it would have to sit in the fresh water for a couple of days.

My first duty station in the Navy (71-73) was Point Mugu. Pt Mugu had the Pacific Missile Test Center that launched drones to be used as targets. Back then, the only control they had on the drones was to turn (left or right, can’t remember which) and pop the parachute after it ran out of fuel. They landed in the ocean, got picked up by a helicopter and brought back and immersed in a pool of fresh water for two days. Then they were flushed out, refilled with fuel and launched again.

1 Like

If you have full coverage insurance on this vehicle at least you will get something and they will tow it off . Of course it may take a while with all the other claims so file as soon as you can.

1 Like

Out a back window which would be cracked open. The car would be floating for hours and would need to be tied down in the front. A big battery would run an 8 Amp bilge pump for 10 hours. 3 batteries would provide over 30 hours of dry interior. Put one pump in the driver’s footwell and the other in the passenger’s to keep the water level minimal.

But I just read that it is a convertable, so this would have been no use. I don’t think the cover can hold any kind of water pressure.

Rust in the mechanical wearable parts sets in within hours to the point that there is damage. Rust on the body takes a lot longer to actually do damage, and the body is painted in most places.

Those areas can all be reached. Just drill a hole and fill with water.

The car was submerger by a salt water tidal surge. The plastic would have done nothing Batteries and a bilge pump would have only added acid to the mix.

Do you seriously recommend that people in Florida should put bilge pumps and batteries in their stay at home cars when they travel?

1 Like

Ooh, ooh, ooh, put the whole car in a big zip-lock baggie or something like this only big enough for vehicles. Better yet bags for everything, maybe big enough for the whole house. Make sure everything is securely anchored or you never know where they’ll end up.

https://www.amazon.com/HIBAG-Storage-Bedding-Comforter-Pillows/dp/B075ZT41PR

Now I just have to get a patent. I’ll be rich I tell you, absolutely swimming in cash!! :joy: :joy: :joy:

5 Likes

At one time, perhaps still available, bags you could put your car in, then fill with nitrogen.
Then during the wind, tidal surge, and flooding, the car would be in the pile of boats.
For the not-so wonderful 90s, these boats have bilge pumps.

2 Likes

Better keep @TheWonderful90s and his bilge pump away from Niagara Falls, or this could happen:

2 Likes

Nooooo……anything but that