What to do with 2003 Saturn L300 that needs a new transmission

Our trusted mechanic told us our 2003 Saturn L300 with 120,000 miles on it needs a new (or rebuilt) transmission. We don’t want to put the money into it to fix it as the cost is more that the car is worth. Should we try to sell it as is or should we do the California Vehicle Buy Back Program where, if our application is accepted, we could get either $1,000 or $1,500 for the car. Would a private person pay more than $1,000 for a car that needs a new transmission? Need guidance fast. Thanks Cartalk Community! By the way, we already bought a replacement car. Just need to recoup some money!

What are the symptoms? Why does he think it needs a new transmission?

Where does California get the money to buy all these cars when it can’t even pay its employees?

CA buyback program. Cash for clunkers lite I guess you could call it

From my understanding, the CA BAR program for buyback is for cars that fail emissions, not just any car that the owner has decided to part with.

I will get a quote on transmission rebuilt and also a used transmission from salvage yard, ideally with some warranty.

You can put it on craigslist as a parts car and see what you can get for it. Make sure you do a proper bill of sale and have the buyer sign all forms of disclosure.