What size EGR Valve nut wrench for 1992 G20 van

I would never allow a left handed monkey under the hood of one of my vehicles.

My dad had both left and right handed but, I never saw them both at the same time.

Thank you for posting pics of an actual monkey wrench. Lots of times folks refer to pipe wrenches as monkey wrenches - not the same tool.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s a pic of an actual monkey with a wrench.

EGR bolts should be either 3/8 or maybe 13mm, but youā€™ll need a crescent wrench to remove the idle air valve which is in the way. And the plastic wire connector to the IAC will possibly break since itā€™s 30 years old.

4 Likes

Surely you didnā€™t let that left handed monkey under the hood of your ride!!!

Iā€™m too late to the party to add anything of value.

Heā€™s the new lead mechanic around here. Heā€™ll work for bananas.

2 Likes

Are you sure he wouldnā€™t be better suited to be the new Service Writer? Or is he over-qualified?

1 Like

Right now the 2 service writers we have are the best I have ever worked with. One of them works 4 days a week so on Fridays I am a service writer.

The monkey is certainly more qualified than I am!

3 Likes

Well, Iā€™m done, like anybody cares, but, if somebody ever does a search of this topic. You need a 1/2 inch wrench for a 1992 G20 5.7L 350 automatic. I still think a tiny little adjustable wrench would have made it a lot easier.

3 Likes

Just one 1/2 inch wrench for anything on a 1992 G20 5.7 automatic ?

Why do you gotta be a smart ass. Iā€™m trying to help people. Itā€™s not easy to even get a tape measure in there. Oh, and ratchets wont even fit to try sizes. Stick with your Volvo.

Glad you got it fixed, life is good?

Is the nut part of the replacement? Just measure that.

He has already figure out itā€™s a 1/2", and has replaced the part

I caught that, just wondered why the question arose. Also, auto fasteners have all been metric for many years so that would be a 12mm or a 13mm. I remember having to heat and bend the shanks of end wrenches into complex shapes to get to a fastener because there was no other way to get to it.

A 29 year old domestic had LOTS of non-metric nuts and bolts.

3 Likes

I lost my 14 mm socket, thinking a 17/32 socket worked,

The differential cover bolts on my 2014 Mustang are still 5/16 bolt x 1 inch English. Same for my 2004 GM SUV.
The industry didnā€™t just change them all overnight, only when a part was re-tooled. That G20ā€™s engine is a Gen 1 350 V8. Lots of English fasteners still used on that one.

Based on what I read, I donā€™t think you should attempt to remove the EGR. First of all, anyone who attempts to use an adjustable metric wrench probably doesnā€™t have the knowledge to remove it without dropping a washer or nut into engine.
B) you probably havenā€™t done trouble shooting and youā€™ll end up replacing something unnecessarily. 3) you probably have a silicon based lubricant which will kill your exhaust sensor. 4) youā€™re too cheap to buy a good set of tools means you have set up yourself for failure.
Best thing you can do is go to the section of cartalk where customers have recommended mechanics in your area to diagnose your problems and fix your van properly.
Sorry for the tough love.