What size EGR Valve nut wrench for 1992 G20 van

Does anybody know what size wrench is needed to change EGR Valve for 1992 Chevrolet G20 van?

Wouldn’t it be easier and quicker to just test fit your wrenches to the nut? That is how we all do it. After all, you have the van in front of you and we don’t

3 Likes

Yeah, I don’t have many wrenches around and just thought I would hit anybody up if they knew right off so I wouldn’t have to measure and go shop around for one after I already opened her all up. I know they are very hard to get to.

Why not buy a set of wrenches?

3 Likes

This person does not know that he could order a set of inexpensive wrenches from Amazon and have them in 2 days ?

Even if we DID know what size it was, it is a 29 year old van that may no longer have the factory size nut on it.

2 Likes

Well, if you looked a little deeper into the issue. It is a van where you need to take the doghouse off. On top of that it is a conversion van so even more is needed to open the engine cover. Also, I have watched videos on youtube and a ratcheting wrench is appropriate for the job because you can barely get to the nuts in the first place. I was just asking any fellow G20 van owners if they knew right off so I could buy ahead of time. I’ll just open her up and measure and go try and find a wrench. I don’t want to spend a lot of money on a whole ratcheting wrench set.I may even need to use a little tiny regular adjustable wrench. Thanks anyway. If anyone comes across this who owns a 1992 G20 your input would be helpful. Thanks!

Very unlikely that anyone with a 1992 G20 will see this thread .

This is another example of why the Ask Anyone section is a joke. It does not really connect people to others with the same vehicle but miss leads people to think so.

1 Like

You’ll save a lot of time if you get a set of sockets and extensions, including a flexible adapter, to work on this 29 year old van. More things will need fixing, for sure. You can find a starter set for under $50 on Amazon, Lowes, Home Depot, or Harbor Freight.

1 Like

If they don’t already have a set of hand tools, i’d question whether they should be changing their own egr valve.

6 Likes

I agree with old mopar guy. Find yourself a friend who not only has wrenches, but also knows how to use them. A six-pack of beer is probably cheaper than a set of wrenches. Rounding the heads of bolts with the wrong wrench will only make things a lot worse.

1 Like

Would not a good crescent wrench work?

What if he buys a Metric and the bolt is SAE ?

3 Likes

Course I suppose it could be hard to decide between a left handed or right handed. :wink:

2 Likes

But what size Crescent wrench ? Crescent makes multiple sizes and styles.

2 Likes

Where I grew up this is what we mean by crescent wrench, wr

3 Likes

Oh you mean an adjustable wrench by Tekton or Crescent or Craftsman etc.? I don’t have a picture of what is known to me as a “monkey wrench” but my dad had one. Yeah I’m being a little smart aleck today.

As much as I hate to agree with the old mopar man, I have to say this might be over one’s head if they only have a couple wrenches and no sockets. On the other hand, everyone starts somewhere. For under $50 at Harbor Freight you can get a set of wrenches, SAE and Metric, a socket set, and a few other items. They certainly aren’t the best quality but look nice and great to put in the trunk for use once in a while.

1 Like

I am quite familiar with GMs G vans and you never mentioned it was a conversion van until now.

In the time it took you to create a login and post your question you could have had the doghouse off for a check with your own eyes. The added time for typing out this last little post would have covered the additional time for the conversion van bits.

At which point you’d know whether you have the correct wrench or not…for the one of 4 different engines that could have come in this van…which you never identified for us.

Go figure it out or pay a pro to do it for you if that is beyond your skill set.

1 Like

Did he have a left handed or right handed monkey wrench?
Capture

3 Likes

While I forget the dimension of the nut/bolt head I do recall bending a combination wrench into a U shape to get most GM EGR valves off vehicles of that vintage because there is no clearance for a socket between the mounting flange and the diaphragm housing. the 2.5L 4 cylinder of that time was virtually impossible to remove without a modified tool.