What should I put in the back of my 2wd s10 for the winter?

@dagosa, before in this thread, I said that I was not about to criticize you for erring, however severely, on the side of safety. That is your choice, and your life.

However, when you go beyond your own personal choice, and start to cajole and guilt-trip others based on their choices…at that point, I feel criticism is fair game. And as a fair criticism, I think it is absurd to argue that an appropriate standard for securing a load is “turn the truck upside down, shake it…and see if anything comes out!” Few cargo vehicles would pass that test: a car carrier would shed cars, a brick carrier shed bricks, a “van” trailer would have its thin metal skin shredded, and a landscaping pickup would be tossing zero-turn mowers about the highway.

About the only truck NOT expected to shed load is one carrying something like the 16,000# steel coils they ship out of the mill, and think about how they’re secured: multiple chains around each, wedged in place, and wrapped around the trailer frame! It also takes several hours to secure such a load–a reasonable burden to the “civilian” just trying to get up his driveway?!? NOT!

As far as the law, a reasonable standard for “secured” load is one that stays put during foreseeable NORMAL operations: if it stays put in a multi-vehicle pileup, a pleasant surprise. Think: to ensure security in a rollover, you’d need, at the least, multiple chains, or wire rope, around each and every object in the bed…and secured on the other end to the actual vehicle frame, not wimpy sheet metal that WILL deform and tear when wrecked!

(I also don’t see how sand bags are any improvement: if 60# of sand in a tough canvas bag is flying at your head, 60 MPH-ish, you’re every bit as decapitated as if it were concrete block. MAYBE it’d do better against a “hardened target” such as a car-like metal box…but I’d want to see the “ballistics” on that one before granting anything!)

Same…there are a whole lot of physics reasons why I disagree with you…

What are they ? . I can understand any terms from physics you want to use. I am Just asking what they are.

The Tacoma Forum I frequent, Utube, Shurtrax, auto everything and other commercially available sources for traction weight, commercial or consumer automotive reference you want to type and or google all give possible weight recommendations for traction weight in pick ups.

I insist that the items some of you are suggesting sre dangerous and I disagree with using them and you guys may feel affronted. It’s is not directed at you and I feel bad that you don’t like someone disagreeing with you, but it’s directed at anyone who makes the suggestion. If I made an unsafe suggestion on how to jump start a car, I would expect some vehement and direct correction where someone’s safety you might be concerned about asks a question on our forum.

We aren’t talking about oil recommendations, or how to service your cars in general. We are talking about a recommendation that with all do respect, I will disagree with every time some one makes it. Being a civil servant including and working as an ambulance driver and investigatoring accidents does not make me an official expert on what to put into the back of a pick up for traction weight but it gave me a little working knowledge of what I thought, were reasonably safe suggestions.

Not because of safety (or not), but I would use bags of sand so that you’d have the sand handy if you needed it. It could also be used for piling around/on loads to keep them in place. Anything in back could be thrown around in an abrupt stop or accident, but so can bags of groceries in the back of your car. I’d say that’s quite a much bigger risk as they don’t need to hit a window in the right spot to break it and continue flying through it. Sandbags (even if are canvas) seem more likely to burst than to make it through to the cab intact.

since I ve lived my whole life, until recently, on the edge of disaster, I may as well just tell the truth and leave the safety issues up to the poster.

when I worked in steel shops many of us would use a large beam drop (leftover pc) . we would cut it to the exact length of the bed and shut the tail gate tightly against it, using dunnage to wedge it tightly on either end. unless you flipped over it was fairly secure

SAND. You can also scoop it on the road surface to improve traction.

I’ll admit to not having read the other comments but around here in Minnesota, folk put a couple or four of those sand in a tube bags over the rear wheels. 100-200#. The kind with just plain sand and no salt. Then you can always use it for traction if you get stuck.