What’s the most fuel-efficient way to accelerate from a stop?

I would like to be as fuel efficient as possible when I drive my 2017 Honda CR-V. Is it more efficient to accelerate rapidly from a stop to get to the speed limit, where my MPG is poor but for a short duration, or gradually accelerate where my MPG is somewhat better but for a longer duration?

Simple , try each way on a full tank and check your fuel mileage the old fashioned way with pen and paper . Then you will know which way is best for your vehicle and where you drive.

Without knowing much about Honda CR-Vs and too lazy to look it up there are general rules. Although time consuming, volvo v70 suggestion would give you the most relative answer to your specifics.
In general, if you have an automatic and are not afraid of inviting road rage squeezing down on the throttle like there was an egg under your foot should give you the best mileage. Manual trans you need to get up to the highest appropriate gear as quickly as possible using the throttle somewhere between flat out and egg under foot.
I’ve had two cars from 1987, a Golf and a 944, both stick. They both had what I would call an economy light in the instruments, which was to be used as a guide in accelerating. The idea was to accelerate through the gears just hard enough to extinguish the light and as you speed up keep rolling in more throttle to keep the light extinguished. During acceleration, if the light was on(manifold pressure was too low) you weren’t accelerating hard enough and you needed to roll in the throttle more quickly as the rpms came up. Shift when appropriate and repeat for each gear until top gear where the light no longer functioned. If this sounds like a complicated confusing distraction that’s how most people found it and car makers discontinuated installing it.

Here’s good info

I always take my foot off the brake, let the car creep forward several feet, then put my foot on the accelerator, not too hard, so the transmission can shift through all the gears. I am more concerned about prolonging the life of the transmission, but this will also save fuel.

Drive like there is a raw egg between your foot and the pedal. On deceleration coast as much as possible.

For what it’s worth my Lincolns over the past 20+ years have a dashboard readout for many functions. One of them involves fuel range, MPG, Instant MPG, with the latter giving a readout every second or so.,

Over the years I’ve set it on Instant MPG and watched the calculations. With normal acceleration the cars will get 8 to 9 MPG. With very light acceleration 10 or a bit over. Under slightly aggressive acceleration (Ouch) about 4 and about 2 to 3 if nailed to the floor. On the plus side gasoline is down to 1.35 here…

On deceleration from highway speeds it will get 99 MPG but that’s only for a couple of seconds at around 50 MPH and does not matter in the big picture.

1 Like

Easy. If car behind you zooms around you, that means you are going perfect speed

1 Like

Your engine RPMs should be in the 1400 to 2200 RPM range. It varies from vehicle to vehicle but on a CVT, I shoot for a steady 1800-2200 depending on whether I’m going uphill or not. On a geared transmission, I like it to shift at 1800 down to 1400 in the next gear, but in heavy traffic or going up hill, shifting at 2200 down to 1800 in hte next gear is OK. Even going up to 2400 RPM is OK if needed but over that, then you are really using more gas. Below those numbers also uses more gas as you spend too much time in the lower gears.

Slightly off of the original topic but gas prices in OK City hit 99 cents a gallon. Who would have thought.

Wow!
In my area, the lowest current price is at Costco, where they are charging $1.75 per gallon.

[quote="ok4450,
Slightly off of the original topic but gas prices in OK City hit 99 cents a gallon. Who would have thought.
[/quote]

Still at 1.85 at my normal fuel stop.

They’re predicting .75 here soon. My son on the phone liast night said 2.34 in northern UT
From Costco in north OKC…

If only I had a big storage tank to stock up on this cheap gas for later.
I’ve driven less than 20 miles in the last 3 weeks.

The problem would be how much later as gas doe’s not store well for the long term.