What makes/models are good for people who want to work on their own car

I recall the Chevelle requiring removing the master cylinder to replace the starter. I’ve charged “penalty” labor to replace those starters after the owner failed.

Yea you make solid points. I do think compartments COULD be setup in more logical ways in regards to repairs. But I realize that certain equipment probably would have made quite a few jobs I’ve done much easier.
I suppose this post is a mixture of me complaining and hoping some people might throw out some manufacturers that have nicely set up engine compartments where more difficult parts to remove are underneath the easier parts to remove, rather than the other way around.

I suppose that statement was a bit particular for me. For people who pay for repairs, Ford seems to be great. But I personally have a problem with them trying to charge me $2500 to switch out a $400 ABS module and a single $30 speed sensor. I spent $430 and an hour of my time to switch them out. Now I just need the 5 minute job of someone plugging in with the correct licensing and configuring my new ABS module I installed, and they are probably going to charge me hundreds of dollars for that… I realize people have to make money, but $2100 for 1-2 hours of labor (probably much less for them) seems… a bit much.

You misunderstand my post. I have no problem with “complex components.” I have a problem with how they are ordered in the compartment. Simply put, I believe components that take more time and equipment to remove should be underneath components that take less time to remove. This seems more logical. Yet my engine compartment seems to put all the plug and play components underneath the pressurized systems. Pressurized systems require more effort to move, they should be underneath the plug and play systems.

1 Like

I wish some manufacturer would use the idea of the Checker company. The 1956 through1982 Checkers were designed to be repaired quickly to keep them in service.

3 Likes

If this bothers you then you really do not want to ever own a European luxury vehicle.

2 Likes

Yea I realize this. But from another perspective, this could be to ensure repairs take enough time to make more money off each repair. An ABS module that can be reached easily can be changed in minutes. An ABS module directly underneath an AC line takes MUCH longer to change.
I was just wondering if any manufacturers had been held accountable by consumers. Or if everyone just chalks it up to “cars are more complex now.” Which feels like a copout argument to me. I don’t find modern cars to be “complex.” I find them to be setup in ways where simple components are purposely placed underneath components that take longer to remove. Which feels scammy to me.

This is a great answer, I love the list and those are all great points to consider. I suppose coming here was a sort of preliminary research for me to get a few good starting points and opinions. I will definitely be doing some more research before purchasing anything. But yea I might have to consider an older car, since a lot of modern features aren’t that important to me.

1 Like

@BTBAMthony I may have missed it but what year , model and mileage of this mystery ford ? I suspect it was worn out when you got it . Many vehicles never need expensive repair while some do .

Just curious , how old are you ? As for an older vehicle you might have even more problem finding parts .

1 Like

Yea, I realize that. But retaining that argument is kind of a copout imo.
Simply put, removing an old ABS module and plugging a new one in is easy to do. Placing the ABS module directly underneath the AC line, requiring refrigerant evacuation, vacuum and repair doesn’t change that the ABS module is still easy to change. It just makes it take longer.
I don’t consider something that takes longer to be more difficult. I just consider it to be more annoying.
In short, I don’t mind that cars have more complex moving parts. I just don’t like how they are ordered and setup in the engine compartment in ways that clearly enforce longer repair times and in turn, more money to their repair shops.

1 Like

I’ve worked a bit with carburetors on my lawn mower. Fortunately I haven’t had a problem with my fuel injector on my car, but that would definitely be a learning experience for me if I ever got to it.
And yea, I realize there is no perfect answer here. There rarely ever is lol. Was just seeking out a few opinions from the community on what cars were nightmares to work on, and perhaps what cars weren’t that bad.

Through your years you didn’t have engine compartments you felt were more logically setup than others? Pressurized systems out of the way of vital components and such?

Lol yea I’m sure this isn’t the worst case. But it’s enough to bother my cheap ass. I’ll stay away from the luxury vehicles for sure

It is a 2010 Ford Fusion 3.5L Sport with about 140k miles now. And I’m 30 years old. Only started learning all this stuff about 2 years ago though. My previous cars were serious beaters, this is the nicest car I’ve owned and I’d like to be able to take care of it.
I think the starter motor was due to an issue I was having with my negative battery terminal. And I know there was a recall on ABS modules for 2010 ford fusions, but my VIN didn’t qualify for some reason. So I’m guessing my ABS problems were associated with that.

1 Like

Sure, with that $6000 programming tool that requires a monthly subscription service.

I assume you only had to buy the electronic control unit since bleeding the brakes would have taken you a bit longer than an hour and a scan tool to exercise those ABS valves so you could bleed it.

Not sure which post you are replying to, but if it was this one:

What is the answer to my question? That you didn’t like the cost estimate for the repair? Or??

If you don’t like what Ford charged, why take it to the dealer? Dealers are not generally known as the low cost source for service work.

Also, how did you know to replace the ABS ECU and one speed sensor?

As many here have posted… the choice of location is more a matter of the assembly process than serviceability. And these days there is a lot more things to package into a smaller space. Every manufacturer is more concerned with assembly cost than service cost. Service doesn’t cost the manufacturer, it costs you. If they focused on service rather than assembly, the cars would not be able to be competitively priced so it would cost you more in the short run to save a bit in the long run. That would chase off potential buyers.

3 Likes

It doesn’t matter. Murphy’s law says that the part most difficult to access will be the one that fails :wink:

I recently had to replace a set of steering lines. Guess what? Pressurized lines first thing assembled to the frame so they are out of the way of everything. But this puts them in close proximity to the frame where they can accumulate dirt, slush, salt brine and they rusted out. Not to mention a real bear to replace. Had they been in free space, much less likely to rust out. But then they would be in the way of everything else … :grinning:

I don’t need to pay someone to bleed my brakes. As far as bleeding the HCU, I have a tool that can run that program.
And ok, so if the license costs that much… why? That still keeps my original point that these car companies are price gouging. It’s a simple snippet of code in a product that I paid for. I should have the rights to my cars oem programming code. It isn’t some complex configuration either, just a matchup to VIN. And why? To prevent someone from stealing your ABS module?
I do agree with your point on not taking it to dealer. But it still seems odd that the people the product was manufactured by and sold by are the least help in actually dealing with issues on said product… And also because there was a recall on some 2010 ford fusions for bad ABS module. Unfortunately my VIN did not qualify I guess.
And I knew because of the DTC’s I pulled up on my diagnostic tool. It was an ECU fault that I tracked back down to the ABS module and a faulty speed sensor. I had a lot going on and was hoping I could get some affordable help on it. But clearly that was not the case.

Interesting insight, I hadn’t considered this. But I suppose that does make sense. And yea, I’m unfortunately very familiar with murphy’s law lol.

The only reason it’s like this is because people are more concerned with instant gratification. Consumers have the power to control the market, but people just don’t care. They just throw money at whatever is presented to them. There is also the factor that making a car take longer to service, means even more profit for them in repairs later on. But this is a conversation that is definitely leaving the automotive space.
At the end of the day, I guess there is just not enough people who seek serviceability as a factor in purchasing a product to constitute a company that made vehicles with serviceability in mind.