What kind of differential damage have you seen due to wrong gear oil . . .?

I ran through the replacement parts for 10 bolt GM axles and found that the same bearings and carrier parts were common from 1972 until 2016 which would suggest there is no critical change in running clearances. I did find that the 12 bolt axle had a design change to reduce the ring and pinion thrust load several years ago but from the time that the factory changed its recommendation for rear end lubricants from 90W to synthetic multiviscosity there seems to be no change in tolerances. When the axle is torn down for repair there may be indication of the root cause of the problem but often that’s not the case.

My experience with C-lock rear end failures is that operating without adequate oil will usually show up first with axles bearing failures and if the whining from those bearings is ignored long enough either the axle will cause the vehicle to drag to a stop or the outer pinion bearing will fail and the ring and pinion will grenade. But honestly rear axle failures other than axle bearing were a somewhat rare repair for me.

Any chance it might have needed a friction modifier?

Friction modifiers were required for friction clutch posi-traction. Without the proper friction modifier the outer wheel would be drug in a turn until the clutch pack wore out prematurely resulting in non functioning of the posi-traction.

not for this particular application, I know because I looked up exactly what fluid was called for

And when I had the cover off, it was clear it wasn’t a limited slip

1 Like

Were both these lubes GL-5 rated? I understand this has the extra anti-wear additives required for use in differentials.

I ran into this with a failed manual transmission once. The synchronizers were TOAST! GL-5 gear lube had been used. I did some research and the GL-5 gear lube has anti-wear additives that form a protective layer under stress. When on steel they are softer than the steel so sacrifice themselves in order to protect the steel.

The problem comes when these are used in synchronized manual transmissions with “yellow metals”. The protective layer is harder/stronger than the material it is between so ends up wearing the synchronizers instead. GL-5 gear oils which typically have that STINK we all know are great in diffs but not in synchronized transmissions with yellow metals like brass.

Do you have access to the container that was used? Was it a GL-5 gear lube or something else?

Many manual transmissions these days specify automatic transmission fluid which would not work in a diff. Obviously that wasn’t used here but it could have been some other type of gear lube that wasn’t GL-5 rated.

Check out https://www.widman.biz/uploads/Transaxle_oil.pdf

Well, I’ll have to look into this on monday

Is it possible the mechanic accidentally introduced some metal contaminants when refilling? But as others have said, those would take out bearings first.

This is an interesting problem.

How many miles were driven on the wrong gear oil?

less than one week’s worth of driving . . . probably less than 300 miles, possibly far less than that

As I said, it had originally come in for a routine service, and the guy put in the wrong gear oil. it left under its own power, so to speak, and returned just a few short days later, on the hook

Tomorrow at work, I’ll compare the specs of the 75w90 synthetic gear oil, versus the 85w140 synthetic, which the guy incorrectly used

The 85w140 was from one of those mobile dispensers . . . the one in a drum, with casters and a pump handle. I’ll have to look on the label to determine if it was GL-5 or not

I don’t have a background in chemistry or metallurgy and I can’t speak with authority on the effects of GL5 on a differential of unknown age and use, but I’m in the same business as you are, and have been all of my life. So my experience is purely anecdotal.

The only issues I’ve seen with GL5 have to do with synchros in older manual transmissions, and that wear happened over a significant length of time and use. And limited to synchros, not the actual gears and bearings.

GL4, GL5. 75W90, 80W140. Conventional, synthetic. I have a very hard time believing that a differential in what I assume is a domestic light or med duty truck, could go from perfect working order to trashed in 300 miles because of the fluid. I would think you could have put 10W40 in there and it would have lasted 300 miles. I just can’t help but think there is a missing piece somewhere. Noise was there prior to service, driver got the truck stuck in the mud and rocked and revved it like crazy, who knows. Just my opinion.

Like I said in another post, if it were -30* or the truck went 300 miles doing launches at the 1/4 mile drags that would be one thing. But normal service, less than a week, just doesn’t add up.

3 Likes

Even if it wasn’t the cause of this failure, I would have canned him. It’s one thing to make mistakes or be ignorant about something once. When someone points out the mistake and you do it anyway- good luck in your next job

Seeing as how the deed may go unpunished, have him service another one in the fleet. If it fails in a week or two, you have your answer :grin:

3 Likes

I agree! I have come to realize certain people will not listen and just will find a way to mess things up over and over in my dealings with the general public. I am OK with this as long as they are willing to accept responsibility and pay for the repairs. I have problems when they try to blame someone else which seems to be all too common these days.

The guy was informed he was using the wrong fluid and did it anyway. I agree this might not be the complete cause of this failure as does everyone else but people like this WILL eventually be the root cause of some other issue. I don’t even want to know what a diff in a heavy commercial truck costs but I am sure it isn’t cheap.

Again, I have known people who basically run their diffs dry over and over and they didn’t grenade like this. I would think that even with the wrong fluid or motor oil for that matter, this thing would have run farther than 300 miles as suggested.

You might look up online and see if there are other incidents of failure with this same type of differential. Sometimes you see certain parts with a defect that fail over and over again. It sounds like you have quite a few of these trucks with the same setup and none have failed like this. You might also research failures if the wrong fluid is used in that model.

A friend rebuilt a 12 bolt GM rear end and failed to fill it with lube and it began howling in less than 20 miles. The truck was brought back on a hook but never grenaded.

So, here’s some more information

The truck was supposed to get AC Delco 10-4016 gear oil, which is full synthetic 75w-90 GL-5

Instead, the guy put in 76 MP gear lube SAE 85W-140. It’s not labeled as synthetic, so I’m pretty sure it isn’t, but it is labeled GL-5 and MT-1

I know that with vintage cars, particularly vintage British cars. It’s considered a big no-no to use modern GL-5 spec gear oil. GL-4 must be used. Apparently the GL5 eats bronze parts for lunch, and the older stuff doesn’t.

Who buys the oil used in the shop? Are mechanics free to order specific varieties of lubricants to suit various vehicles?

I have heard that the GM rear ends are VERY picky about the correct fluid being used in them.

never personally had an issue, but then, I put the correct fluid in. :smiley:

1 Like

What failures have you heard that were the result of improper lubricants in GM rear ends? And how improper were the lubricants that caused the failures?

Our warehouse department buys the fluids used in the shop

There are a few factors . . . such as what we request, what’s already “in the system” in other shops, what the vendor(s) can easily locate and so forth

That last one is sometimes an issue, because we sometimes get a certain brand filter or fluid, because that’s what the vendor can easily and quickly obtain, versus the specific brand we actually wanted

So here’s the latest . . .

I had said the boss sublet the repair(s) out to an independent shop. Non-fleet, in other words. I don’t know if it was a/the dealer or somebody else.

Anyways . . . the truck came back a few days ago, and I was told to make sure everything was fine.

I put it in the air and it was obvious that a complete axle assembly was installed. The only parts that were obviously reused were the brakes (rotors, pads, calipers and hoses). Maybe the axle shafts were also reused, but I didn’t look into it any further, because I didn’t even remove the tires to check.

I did check the fluid level and rubbed my finger on the fluid. Seemed to be the correct viscosity.

I drove the truck and all was back to normal. After the test drove, I did a final check on the fluid level.

I suspect the shop installed the complete axle assembly, rather than fix/overhaul the differential, because it was quicker. Less labor costs, but probably much higher parts costs. They also probably didn’t want a truck eating up valuable space for a length of time. That last one may have been the deciding factor, for all I know

That’s what I did went the diff went out on my ‘72 Duster. Put it up on jack stands in in dorm parking lot, disconnected the brakes and driveshaft, swapped in a used rear axle assembly from the junkyard.