What is wrong with my car?

I have a 2009 Pontiac GT G5.

(Backstory) When I bought it off this dude the rear driver side wheel was stanced because of an accident the previous owner was in. The dealer fixed the problem with a part from a junkyard. But when he did that, it messed up my alignment, which I got fixed. It was driving perfectly for a while but it is now drifting or spinning out from under me when I am turning or bearing left, it feels like it could spin out if I hit the right bump. But if I am on a smooth road, everything is fine.

When I look at my car driving away I see a large spring hanging down on the radar passenger side, but that only shows when I’m driving, not when it’s in park.

For reference I have a torsion suspension system in the rear.

I also have an issue where my break pedal will groan and almost push back on my foot. Maybe this has something to do with the suspension as well? This doesn’t affect the quality of breaking.

When I have to break quickly the rear passenger side wheel will make a very loud noise, I’ve been told it could just be the abs breaks trying to work.

When I look under the car I don’t see any visible/obvious damage. It’s a great little car on smooth roads but struggles a lot on bumpy roads or roads that have those breaks in them for rainwater or repairs.

I have the abs light on, the traction light on, and the check engine light on (which is just an oxygen sensor),

Does anyone know what could be wrong with my car? I am a college student with barely any money so I am trying to figure this out for myself but I haven’t been too successful. Any help would be appreciated.

No you don’t. It is a twist beam with coil springs.

Likely the coil spring that holds up one corner of the car and is now causing your problems.

You ABS is engaging because the car is so unbalanced with the screwed up suspension.

From what you’ve posted, sorry if this sounds harsh, but you really need to take this to a professional so they can see just how messed up this car is. Stop driving it until you can afford this. Seriously, this thing is messed up.

6 Likes

i would use the jack and take off 1 rear wheel and look at parts. than repeat process on the other side. they are identical. you should be able to see something obvious. take a pic. post it here

Sorry about the

but the car has to go on a lift and get inspected front to rear. It’s obvius that it has suffered more damage from

It’s impossible through the internet to asses or evaluate the damage.
That car is DANGEROUS as it is. Get it towed to a competent shop. If You cannot afford it now, park it until You can - and before You kill somebody and/or Yourself.
If possible, ask family and/or friends if they can assist You moneywise.
Best of luck.

2 Likes

1: Never buy a car from “some dude”.

2: You met a curbstoner, I would wager the car was not in his name because he never registered it. He got it cheap, probably at an auction and found out it was going to cost too muck to fix so he looked for an inexperienced mark to dump it on.

3: If a car is way below market value, BEWARE. There is a reason it is cheap, the seller knows what it is and you don’t.

4: It is brakes not breaks, I am amazed a college student doesn’t know the difference. When I was in school a long time ago they would not have let anyone out of 4th grade that didn’t.

5: What is a radar passenger side?

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. I did shallow research of my car and that’s just what one website side about my suspension. The car only slightly drifts out, nothing too crazy. I drove it from Colorado to North Carolina so that could have jump started the end of my car.

OP, beware.
I’m not saying that Oldtimers (IF it was him You replied to) was polite or diplomatic, but I AM saying that, that kind of comments (or attitude for that matter) are not gonna get You any help. We are here, for free and voluntarily, to try to help other people as far as we can. Sometimes an answer can be a wee bit harsh, but that does not justify that kind of comment.

6 Likes

If you don’t care enough to make clear and concise posts then you should understand that will limit the people who want to help .
Frankly you have been sold a pile of junk and just be glad it got you as far as it did . This thing is not fit to be on the road by your description of the problems . You should spend about 125.00 dollars to have a shop list all the things wrong before you fix anything.

7 Likes

tell me whats wrong from my description.
a spring thingy is kinda wonky.
i wonder if you google “car repair tips” if this website just pops up?

A large spring hanging down could be really serious. I wouldn’t drive it until you had it checked out.

I just had to get rid of my 18-year-old Chevy Prizm because worn-out spring-thingies had made it unsafe to drive without spending more money than the car was worth to get them replaced.

Safety is important.

Tips from Consumers Reports: (they’re lousy on some car reviews, but they can offer tips to many consumers:

ind a shop for your brand of car (most GM shops)
Many garages specialize in certain makes. Those that focus on your type are more likely to have the latest training and equipment to fix your vehicle.

Ask your family and friends
Especially seek recommendations from those who have a vehicle similar to yours.

Search the Internet
Look for information about local mechanics on Angie’s List, the Consumer Reports car repair estimator, and the Mechanics Files at Cartalk.com. Cartalk.com provides those services free, Angie’s List requires a subscription, the car repair estimator is free for Consumer Reports’ online subscribers.

Check for certification
Your mechanic and shop should be certified by the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence, or ASE.

Check the Better Business Bureau
Auto repair shops rank 12th on the bureau’s list of common complaints. Go to www.bbb.org; the information you find might help you figure out which shops you should avoid.

Give the shop a tryout
Before your car needs a big repair, you might want to try out some local shops with smaller repairs or maintenance items, such as oil and filter changes.

Ask about warranties
What kind of guarantees does the shop give on repair work? Warranties can vary greatly among shops, so ask about them ahead of time. Use a common repair, such as brake work, as your guide.

Make sure the shop is convenient
Even the best shop might not be worth the effort if its hours conflict with your schedule or you have few transportation options after you drop off the car.

Here is a similar page from AAA:

I’m constantly looking for a bargain, because I too, am a college student.

Good luck rachel_1