What is the perfect new car for me?

It is good to remember that this adventure is set for one year, and I should factor that into my thinking (though it could become longer, I suppose, if we love it …) On the other hand, we are having spring skies here, and I know they are not having them yet on MDI … Still, good to be reminded to remember the time frame. Thank you!

Will look at the Acura models, too. Thank you.

I am thinking of getting snow shoes for me to use, so perhaps I really do need to think about snow shoes for my car, or, as you suggest, perhaps I just do not drive if the weather is bad. Thank you for the suggestion!

I thought I had responded to this one, but cannot find the response. Thanks for responding. I want to be able to clear the car top without leaving the ground. For the Outback, I have to clear both edges, then open one door, stand in the car, and push the snow to the far edge, then clear the far edge again. I would like to avoid doing that if I get a new car. I am about 5’ 4" tall, so something where I can reach the top middle of the car with a long brush is what I am seeking. I also do not want something too small as my husband is a big guy and tends to look crumpled when sitting in a small car. And we are getting older, and mindful that stepping in and down to sit (and stepping up and out to exit) may become more difficult in the future. My father-in-law lived with us for several years and we had to be mindful of cars in which he was to travel for this reason. If I get a new car (and we are truly looking and researching now), then it needs to be the right car as I hope to be able to drive it until I cannot drive any more (and yes, I recognize that day is coming, having been through this age with an aunt, my father-in-law, and now with my mom - I hope I am willing to surrender my driving independence gracefully when I am no longer able to drive safely and competently, but only want to purchase one more car for me - maybe - because maybe the 325i should be my forever car.) Again, thanks for taking the time to respond. I have so much food for thought!

How about a compromise in that area? If you got a taller vehicle, like an Outback, or whatever, you might look into those side step rails that tend to reside mostly on trucks.
You could step on that to reach the top of the car to clear it off and not have to open the door, same with entering the car, you could use that to assist you.

I again want to thank everyone for their responses - you are such a helpful and kind group of people! I have done some more reaading, have visited some dealerships and driven some cars, and have decided (for now) to keep my Beemer. I love the way it drives. It is the right size for stuff (the seats fold down and I can get a lot in it if needed). The seats are warm. It is not too big nor too small. It is blue. Going in the snow is something I will deal with should it happen (maybe we will have a mild winter or I can park my car and use the Outback if needed or I can get snow tires - tons of options!) While some of the features newer cars have (bluetooth pairing to phone, for example), would be nice, I think that right now I have the right car for me. Again, I so appreciate the thoughts, suggestions, and ideas everyone had and took the time to share. Thank you!

you can always buy a new car later if the the winter-tire-equipped BMW doesn’t cut it for you

Bridgestone Blizzaks and Michelin X-ice are excellent winter tires. You can go just about anywhere you need to with them, even in your Beemer.