What is the best ball joint grease?

Is there an industry standard or specifications for ball joint grease? I was wondering what grease is the best to use in ball joints? I would like to think that there is scientific testing to back up these claims and not just opinions?

Thanks and let me know.

Grease standards ? Seriously ? Why make things difficult ?

Tester

I bet 90%+ of the benefit is just using any good-quality front end grease, with a very minor component being the particular grease used.

2 Likes

@YoshiMoshi3 - what kind of a car do you have that requires grease? It’s been years (decades?) since most cars had ball joints with fittings. I’d be very surprised if there is any current testing of greases.

2 Likes

I was thinking that when they go out on my current car, that instead of switching them out with sealed units, I could get greaseable ones sot hat they would last longer.

something like this…
moog-k500043 | Front Lower Ball Joint | Toyota Camry | MOOG-K500043 (moog-suspension-parts.com)

Most quality aftermarket ball joints come with zerk fittings so that they can be greased.

Tester

I go to the farm store and just buy the most expensive.

How long have the current ones lasted? It’s very rare for them to go out. Of course it does happen. If mine went out today at 100k miles, I’d rather put sealed OEM spec ones in, I very much doubt I’ll own it at 200k, and no maintenance item created.

4 Likes

Just greasing them every oil change with any quality grease will insure a very, very long life. After all, the sealed units lasted past 100k, didn’t they?

Personally I use Mobil 1 synthetic grease but there are other good ones out there.

1 Like

I use blue wheel bearing grease for my boat trailer. Found this curious about it.

General industrial grease designed for applications involving high heat, water, extreme pressure and high loads. Blue Grease HT™ will not separate, soften or run in applications involving heavy loads. • Resists washout from water or steam • NLGI Grade 1-1/2 covers applications requiring a NLGI 1 or 2 grease • Wide temperature range: 13°F to 399°F (–10°C to +224°C) • Calcium sulfonate complex base • Dropping point (ASTM D-2265): 550°F (287°C) • Water washout (ASTM D-1264): 3% loss at 175°F (80°C) • Four ball wear (ASTM D-2266): 0.45mm scar dia. • Mobility: 13.6g/minute at 0°F (18°C) • Timken OK Load (ASTM D-2509): 65 lbs. • Bearing rust test (ASTM D-1743): Pass • Applications include outdoor equipment and machinery, bearings, mechanical hoists, water pumps and generators, forklifts, exposed gears and drives, fifth wheel and universal

The best one is the one you use.

I think I used that blue stuff once on the trailer but think the last time it was the red sticky stuff. Reminds me about time to repack the bearings.

I use moly-lube for pretty much everything except brakes. Simpler for the diy’er to only stock on type. My truck’s ball joints can’t be greased, no fittings, but as I recall Ford recommends lithium grease for most of the other fittings, steering suspension, driveshaft u-joints. Moly-lube may not have been available when the truck was manufactured.

Does your truck have ball joints I thought all the Ford trucks had I beam or twin I beam suspension up to al least the late 90s or early 2000s.

4WD doesn’t use the twin-I beam. The term “ball joint” can be ambiguous. I’m referring to the gadgets which connect the wheel assembly to the solid front axle that allow the wheels to turn when you turn the steering wheel.

Sorry I forgot that yours was a 4WD

4wd_balljoint

1 Like

Yes I remembered what they look like after you reminded me that you had 4WD.