What does "4 x 4" actually mean?

Respectfully, I have to disagree with the designation having anything to do with “sets of wheels”. In all my years I’ve never heard it used in that manner.

I’m inclined to agree with Uncle T that it has evolved to mean any system that sends power to all four wheels.

Having said that, I’m not sure there actually IS a right or wrong definition. It’s morphed so much from what we in my neck of the woods knew to be its definition many years ago, that you almost have to reference it to a period of time and perhaps even a region to say a definition is right or wrong.

4 X 4 = 16 solved

LOL, that’s the arithmetic forum definition.

Nerd alert!

Technically it is hubs or axle ends. The number of wheels on the hub or axle end does not matter. So you could have a vehicle with 4 total hubs x 4 driven hubs but if the rear axle has duallys, you would have 6 wheels but still be a 4x4

@keith

Sounds like you are agreeing with me, but you worded it differently

Agree with others that initially it was 4 speed trans with 4 wheel drive, and morphed into 4 tires and four wheel drive, four doors was not included, but 4x4 could also be put as a sticker on a redneck truck for the bumper :wink:

db, I never disagreed with you. I used tire initially because it was easier, I didn’t expect this to get this complicated. Transmissions and doors were never a part of the designation.

Anyone able to point me to any use of 4x4 referencing transmission?

Just distant memories, but carp every car truck had 4 wheels, Not all had 4 gears. Could be like shrimp scampi, scampi is french for shrimp, shrimp shrimp, mmmm

Wheels x driven wheels has been used since WWII, or earlier. So some folks may have swapped in doors, windows, speeds, whatever, but that’s not where it started.

Yes but if you have 4 wheel drive why repeat you have 4 wheels? Not saying it is not happening now,

There is a three axle truck that is a 6x4.

Truck, Utility, 4x4, 1/4 ton. AKA Jeep.

@keith

I never thought you disagreed with me

But we have disagreed before, and will do so again :wink:

@texases I agree that it is a military term for vehicle designation. Wheels on the vehicle vs wheels driven since many non combat vehicles just had RW drive and were designated as 4X2. Heavy trucks you see in war footage were 6X6; they had twin rear axles and also front wheel drive.

Although I’ve never heard Doc’s interpretation, I like it.
Heavy trucks used in the military often have more than three powered axles. Eight wheels is not uncommon. I have a photo taken last year of myself in front of an MRAP, which comes in both four and six powered wheels, taken during the base tour my son gave me when I visited him. MRAP is the acronym for Mine Resistant Ambush Protected. Here’s a photo of one like I got to climb on.

Gee, where I grew up it was doors x cup holders…

Actually, we called 'em 4 by 4s when having a three speed auto trans was still considered a luxury…
My Dad served in WWII and he taught us similarly. It was engine not motor and 4x2, 4x4 and 6x4 etc based on the military terminology…

It’s an engine not a motor?
Has anybody told General Motors?
Chrysler Motors?
Ford Motor Corp?
How about Harley Davidson motorcycles?
And the Department of Motor Vehicles?
How about motorboats? Ever heard one called an “engineboat”? My spell check doesn’t even recognize that one.

I wonder, since it’s an engine and not a motor, can I tear up that Motor Vehicle Violation I got? Will the judge say “well, you got me there!”. Whaddayathink?

The term “motor” has been deeply engrained as descriptive of all manner gasoline powered vehicles for generations. It’s engrained in the law, corporate identities, and general reference for generations. It’s even recognized by every dictionary. And yup, we even used it in the military… if I needed a truck, I got it from the motorpool.

With great respect to your dad, I cannot understand why the myth that an “engine” isn’t a “motor” persists despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Your dad is not the first I’ve heard of saying that. This is NOT a criticism, just an expression of “say what?”.

The Oldsmobile 4-4-2 was used here as an example. When introduced in 1964 it was 4 barrel carburetor, 4 speed M/T, dual exhaust. By 1965 you could get any available transmission. “4-X-2”. It was the only example I remember with doors added to the mix with many thinking the “2” was 2 doors.

keith: I don’t get it. “There is a three axle truck that is a 6x4.”

“Truck, Utility, 4x4, 1/4 ton. AKA Jeep.” Where is the third axle? I drove WW2 surplus Jeeps at the age of 13 towing irrigation pipe trailers. I later drove M151 Jeeps when I was in the military. They had 4 wheels. I also drove 2 1/2 ton trucks that had 10 wheels but were designated 6X6.