What do you think about this/

Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

3 Likes

makes me think it’s time to buy a “bridge vehicle” to wait through these nonsense times
 although it’s not known yet if some even more ridiculous idea will be enshrined into a law

3 Likes

From the article: “The idea for tech-based screenings had its own backers in the Senate, namely Republican Sen. Rick Scott of Florida.” Scott is as far from a “liberal” as one can get. (Not trying to start a debate, just being clear.)

1 Like

The article makes clear that, even if passed, it can be (probably would be) “slow-killed” by non-action. Also, the bill gives DOT 10 years (!) to come up with a working system.

I don’t think you remember correctly. Do you have a source for the “sugar and salt” statement?

Considering the rate of change in the electronics field I wouldn’t be surprised if a clever and super cheap solution is found by then.

2 Likes

How about a breathalyzer on all guns?

4 Likes

At some point laws will be passed forcing ICE powered vehicles off the roads.

Even if solutions are available, “slow action” insures they are never put into effect.

You don’t know much about them (“Heh heh”). Breathalizers and all other devices that test breath use a new straw each time.

How is your privacy invaded if cars get better mileage, or sensors tell if you wander out of the lane, or side vision is abetted by cameras, or your car contributes less to climate change or other “safety improvements or emissions improvements”?

1 Like

But but but, straws are baaad and nearly illegal. Maybe they use the paper ones like we had back in 1955. Try drinking a malt with a single paper straw. Our betters will figure out what is best for us.

1 Like

@Remazz I always appreciate providing enough of a person’s comment so we can tell what the hey the issue was without going back to see what they actually said. So I think this is what you were questioning.

True he/she/it probably was lumping some unrelated things together but the general thought I think was “I don’t want all these improvements”. I’m not particularly worried about being monitored at this point (which may rapidly change) but I am quite sure that my On Star and Acura Talk systems know where I am at any given moment, how fast I’m going, if I brake hard, have an emissions problem (on the car at least), and whether I stopped at McDonalds. I don’t think they know what I ordered yet but I do think that at least once in a while they listen in. As they say being paranoid doesn’t mean people aren’t listening to you. OTOH, these systems are being upstaged by the all and present Siri on the cell phones. Check out AI for much more. The good part is you can throw the thing out the window or take the battery out to silence her.

Our betters will figure out what is best for us.
just like they told us to use plastic bags because we were killing all the trees. now we are back to paper bags
 poor trees.

And how would the politicians be able to drive back to their office after lunch? 
 :wink:

3 Likes

Exactly. No reason to get upset.

As George Carlin says congress is the opposite of progress.

1 Like

I watched George Carlin on a 1986 Johnny Carson re-run the other day. Very funny. It’s one non-sequitur after another. Here’s the link

Google and other web searches show nothing about that DWI/visit family story. Do you have a source?

I have no idea what you’re babbling about, as (maybe) you attempt to say what someone else was “probably” saying, which is quite clear. I tune out your comments since you posted about the use of straws in breath analyzers.