What a laugh! Fusion Sealer won't fix THAT head gasket

A pop up ad here displayed a head gasket blown between cylinders, likely on a small block 400 Chevrolet and when I opened the link, sure enough they were selling head gasket sealer. Maybe there’s a genie in every bottle of Fusion Sealer.

Is the 400 SBC a fusion engine? More likely would need a new flux capacitor.

Or instructions to remove the head, clean up the area of the breach, and fill it in with Fusion Sealer. Why do it right the first time if you have a choice?

3 Likes

Often those 400 SBCs blow the head gasket between 3-5 or 4-6 and quickly blow torch the ~1/4" of iron separating those cylinders. There is no repair. Only replacement. I seem to recall that Chevrolet never offered that engine with a 4bbl, likely in hopes that would improve the likelihood the engine would survive past the warranty.

I think I’ve encountered this Genie… I was polishing an old can of Gunk engine cleaner (the old chrome ones) and POOF !!! Smoke, Music, Dizzyness and a feeling that I could wish for anything.

Then again, maybe it was all those beers and hitting my head on the yellow lift arm on my Benwill lift? I always do that… Fun while it lasted tho

1 Like

You went to all the trouble to register and log on just to call people names on an 9 month old thread . That makes me think you might be an employee of the sealer web site . You will most likely get flagged anyway .

4 Likes

Hopefully @FL_Maven will take the time to post her background of extensive experience in automobile engine design, maintenance and repair @VOLVO_V70. There’s always room for someone of her caliber here, dontchaknow.

As I recall most regulars here are of the opinion that such products have a slim but reasonable chance of providing a few more miles of operation for a few bucks so why not pour it in and hope for the best. We must consider that someone who has used a product and found it successful for a week has seen 100% success and any future failures would be considered ‘flukes.’

3 Likes

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed, and isn’t a very stealthy or tactful guerrilla marketer.

4 Likes

Not tryting to market anything. I’m all for voicing opinions on products especially if they suck but, you cant just go and assume that all products work the same.

Well I’m not a chick, but my backstory would be the usual dad was a mechanic and had me alongside from a young age leading to a life of love for auto mechanics and automobiles in general. I’m all for voicing an opinion on a product but before you do that, shouldn’t you uhh, idk maybe try the product first.

I used fusion in my Subaru about 3 years ago and it was having bad symptoms, even mixing oil and coolant. The friend I recommended the product to used it about 2 years ago in his made to last northstar engine and texted him after I saw this thread and he said its holding great too.

Saw this thread pop up on google when I searched fusion sealer and thought it was a joke tbh

I can, however, tell you that products like this one, especially the ones that have the word “miracle” in the name, are no substitute for a legitimate repair. They’re stopgap measures at best for a car that is on its last leg or in case you need to buy some time to save money for a legitimate repair.

To quote Tom and Ray:

“Does it work? Sometimes. And for a while – it’s not state of the art, Ron. It’d be like attaching pump-organ pedals to your heart instead of implanting an electronic pacemaker. But desperate times call for desperate, and really cheap, measures.”*

*Car Talk

3 Likes

I am a believer that you can not use a liquid to replace worn out metal part’s.

4 Likes

If a head gasket is breached into one of the cumbustion chambers nothing will fix it. Some sealers MAY cure (?) a coolant that is not into the chamber but to me it’s a waste of time.

You mention Subaru. The thing with Subaru is that most HG leaks are NOT into the combustion chamber. They’re external or internal to the point that coolant and oil may mix.

A static engine may have 190 PSI of compression. A running engine will be in the 1500-1800 PSI range. We’re supposed to believe that a liquid is going to stop a freight train? I don’t think so.

5 Likes

I have personally seen leak stop totally seal off a coolant flow into the #2 and #3 cylinders of a VW Rabbit. I saw the car drive away out of site running on 4 cylinders.

How long did the repair last?

The car left and disappeared never to be seen again. I considered myself lucky. The car was taken in and patched up as a favor to an old customer who remained with me until I retired and I never questioned what happened to it.

Different from what, specifically?

…and how, specifically, is it different?

All you’ve offered as proof are anecdote and sales slogans.

I can tell you that the stuff worked fantastically well for stopping a coolant breach into the cylinders on a VW Bug… It was actually amazing how well it worked… not a trace of coolant anywhere after use! Still no coolant after almost 15yrs now !

hehehe sorry… Mr. @Rod_Knox gave me the idea for this by mentioning the Rabbit… I just twisted it a little and…well…

6 Likes

Well heck @Honda_Blackbird, come to think of it in all my years I’ve never replaced a single VW Beetle water pump.

5 Likes